Sponsored Visa Offer for QLD

Andrew1980

Hi all

Lucky enough to recieve a job offer (mgmt consultancy firm in Brisbane) recently and the sponsored visa application is now underway.  

Unsure however whether the visa will progress considering covid / backlog etc or will QLD process my sponsored visa under exemption?  Basically, am I in the same backlog as most or will it get processed while others are on hold?

Many thanks in advance for any advice ,

A

6 hours ago, Andrew1980 said:

Hi all

Lucky enough to recieve a job offer (mgmt consultancy firm in Brisbane) recently and the sponsored visa application is now underway.  

Unsure however whether the visa will progress considering covid / backlog etc or will QLD process my sponsored visa under exemption?  Basically, am I in the same backlog as most or will it get processed while others are on hold?

I think that's a question for your employer.  It's unlikely they would bother even attempting the sponsorship if they didn't feel there was a chance of success. They will need to prove that they are a priority need.

Is this a permanent (186) visa or just a temporary one?.  In the old days, it was very common for families to use the old temporary visa (457) to get to Australia and then there was a reasonably good chance of transitioning to a permanent visa at the end.  With the new temporary visa (482), there's a short-term and a medium-term version.  The short-term version has a clause in it which specifically blocks you from getting a permanent visa. For the medium-term version, there is a possibiilty that you may be able to apply for a permanent visa, but it's a very long way from being guaranteed.

The bottom line is:  if it's just a temporary visa, be sure you negotiate a good relocation package there and back with your new employer, because there's a good chance you'll need it. And if you don't get your employer to fund it, the cost of moving a whole family halfway across the world, twice, can easily wipe out your life savings.

Thanks Marisa,

I should have clarified, looking at a perm residence sponsored visa and targeting Jun/Jul (ish) next yr to relocate.  Depending on covid and borders etc...

Hoping does not seem too good to be true!

Thanks for the very useful info re temp 482

A

41 minutes ago, Andrew1980 said:

Thanks Marisa,

I should have clarified, looking at a perm residence sponsored visa and targeting Jun/Jul (ish) next yr to relocate.  Depending on covid and borders etc...

Hoping does not seem too good to be true!

Thanks for the very useful info re temp 482

A

If the employer is offering sponsorship then they should be applying for a 186 DR

Thanks Marisa.

Suppose last question from me would be, are sponsored visas (186 or 482) actually getting processed just now (pre covid timelines) or stuck in the backlog with every other visa?   I see 7-9 months timeframe on aus.gov website however much longer on the forums..

Thx again

A

13 minutes ago, Andrew1980 said:

Thanks Marisa.

Suppose last question from me would be, are sponsored visas (186 or 482) actually getting processed just now (pre covid timelines) or stuck in the backlog with every other visa?   I see 7-9 months timeframe on aus.gov website however much longer on the forums..

If the employer can persuade the government that it's a critical need, then I believe approval can be quite fast.  But that's the hard bit, and it's up to the employer, not you

Edited by Marisawright

11 hours ago, Andrew1980 said:

Thanks Marisa.

Thx again

A

As you are offshore, if you do no receive a Travel Exemption approval, the visa application will not be processed and be held in abeyance indefinitely.