Citizenship application: Documents requiring Attestation from Justice of Peace

citseeker

Hi guys,

We will be applying for our citizenship soon.. this is the first time we will not be using an immigration agent therefore had some questions..

Which documents will require attestation/true copy/justice of peace stamp?

I have already collected:

gas/water bills.

council rates

1195 document

birth certificates

passport copies...

marriage certificate

Do I need to apply for AFP police clearance as well?

Is there anything else I need for the application? 

Thanks and please stay safe

I don't remember getting anything attested, the 1195 form needs to be signed but that's supposed to be someone who has personally known you for a year, so in most cases a JoP wouldn't be appropriate.

You are supposed to take the originals of all your documents with you to the interview. The AFP clearance is done by the department, you do need to get a clearance certificate from any country you have spend more than 90 days in since you got PR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, welljock said:

I don't remember getting anything attested, the 1195 form needs to be signed but that's supposed to be someone who has personally known you for a year, so in most cases a JoP wouldn't be appropriate.

You are supposed to take the originals of all your documents with you to the interview. The AFP clearance is done by the department, you do need to get a clearance certificate from any country you have spend more than 90 days in since you got PR

thanks for your reply..

what about the marriage certificate? does that need any JoP attestation?

Attestation is an obsolete process for confirming a photocopy sent by post is a genuine copy of the original. There's no point to it now that documents are scanned and emailed because you can't tell if the attestation is real. That said if there is some reason you can't take the original document with you to the test/interview you would then need an attested copy.

• Like 1