Which agent to book flights to Australia?

d4ftpunk

Hi there, I have heard that it is really complicated to fly to Australia even if you have a visa/exemption as airlines kick people off the flight before departure. I was told that booking with a travel agent would minimize the risk of being left stranded at the airport. 
Do you have any recommendation for those who used one?
If you didn't use one, did you find it difficult to fly by yourself? Which airlines did you use?
Many thanks. 

Flights are being cancelled at short notice, but they don't kick people off the plane at the airport.   Booking with a travel agent doesnt make any difference. 

Using an agent may make it easier to get a refund if the plane is cancelled (you will always get a refund but the airline can be very slow).   

We found the opposite when our flights were cancelled in 2020. The agent was very tardy in refunding the money, the airline were very helpful and said no problem with the refund BUT because we had booked via an agent we had to go through them for the refund.

Depends on airline and agent I guess but it is another layer to deal with.  Personally I intend to book direct with the airline next time.

• Like 1

Why would an agent make a difference? I would think the airline would look after their own customers and frequent flyers first. Travel agents don’t give any additional guarantees that I am aware of.

You are more likely to get bumped if you are in economy though. There are no real guarantees at the moment have a plan b and absolutely check the refund/re booking policy and small print before you book anything. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, d4ftpunk said:

Thanks. You think it is not necessary at all to use an agent? My partner wants to use one as she thinks that will avoid being bumped. Can you get bumped on the due day or do you usually know in advance?

Having an agent will NOT stop you being bumped.  From what I've seen, you know in advance.

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Having an agent will NOT stop you being bumped.  From what I've seen, you know in advance.

Marisawright is correct.

We did use an agent when we returned last year, but only because of all the hassles  involved in re booking due to covid. I left it with them to make to all the calls and search for new flights etc, I had enough to do !  

We booked Premium Economy, our dates still got changed three times.