Moving To Adelaide

BeauVinyl

If you can afford to live around Brighton I would definitely stay around there especially if you want a beach lifestyle for you and the kids. Brighton is beautiful especially in the summer evenings having an ice cream an a walk down the prom and Jetty. Brighton High school is a very sought after public school too. We have friends in the hills near Mount Barker and the 2019 bushfire just missed their property but they love it up there. Also have friends in Mount Barker but personally I wouldn’t want to live out there. I live in a new estate called Seaford Heights and have a decent size back yard and a large 4 bed house that I wouldn’t have been able to afford near the city. This may be too far out for some people too but I have a view of the ocean, 20 minute walk to Moana beach and a 5 minute Uber to the wineries🍷 what’s not to love 😂 schools are not as good out this way in terms of reputation but my daughter starts at Tatachilla next year which is a relatively reasonable price for a private school. 
I’m terms of meeting people I have met quite a few people from here and are good friends with a lot of them. Beau even joined us for a game of footy on Tuesday night which was good. 
only thing I would say in terms of settling in is take your time and give it a chance. Not everyone loves it and there will be plenty of hard times as it’s not easy especially when you have left family behind. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all 

After all your advice we have finally obtained a long term rental! We move to Upper Sturt in 2 weeks time.The whole process has been pretty painful. The hot Adelaide property market ( particularly in the Hills ) has worked against us and there has been very little rental stock available .

The whole open inspection process has been bizarre , and akin to a jumble sale at times ! For the popular properties there seems to be little politeness as the other viewers compete to see each room first and cosy up to the estate agent .

Equally the online application process has been quite time consuming , not helped by each agent seeming to use different platforms. 

We ended up over the past few weeks actually applying for 3 properties and were offered 2 ( and missed out on the third property which  the agent had already offered to another family a few hours previously ) .

It will be great to finally have a permanent address  which seems to be super important for any applications / red tape ( eg driving licence etc) . Also to finally unpack 8 suitcases which we have moved between 3 separate Air b n bs.

@BeauVinyl - how has your rental search gone?  I believe you were looking at the Blackwood / Hawthorndene  area? To be fair we quite like these areas since they have a foothills feel about them and yet are pretty close to some decent amenities at Blackwood .We understand the schools in that area are good as well , and only approx 20 minutes to the beach.

Hopefully your kids have settled into school well . Our 2 boys have nearly completed 2 weeks and so far , so good….

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

Hi @Pompey gt

Glad to hear you are out of quarantine and have a rental, congratulations on that as I know how hard it is to get one and glad to hear the boys are enjoying school. We picked up the keys to our rental property today and move in tomorrow. We've been lucky that the owner of the AirBnB has let us finish the contract here early as we still had 6 weeks left in the AirBnB but we had to get what we could round here as the rental is in an ideal spot for all of us. We are moving from Blackwood into Hawthorndene and are situated close to the Blackwood station so that my wife can get a 20 min train into the CBD for work. This will also help as my son is in Blackwood secondary in January and he and his friends will all get the train there (only one stop along the line). Not all has gone too smoothly though, what is crippling us is OSHC and that the after school is full 2-3 days of the week meaning only on of us can work at the moment. We hope this will change in January when years 6 and 7 move up to secondary and there will be spaces for my daughter. I'm hoping that I've found a way round this as I do have a job starting on the 11th October and hope that if we can get the kids after school sorted then I'll be able to bring in a second income and we'll be good up until the MASSIVE Christmas holidays (7 weeks, I think) then we'll have to 'wing it' through those.

Last week my wife and I drove up to the hills and loved it up there, went up Mt. Lofty and walked the botanic gardens, but where we really loved was Hahndorf, it's lovely street and great shops, expensive as it's a tourist place but really nice. I also think we liked it because we do miss a bot of Europe here ad Hahndorf gave us that so if you are near there then good on you because it's a lovely region of Adelaide.

Glad to hear all's well as well, keep us updated.

Beau

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeauVinyl said:

Last week my wife and I drove up to the hills and loved it up there, went up Mt. Lofty and walked the botanic gardens, but where we really loved was Hahndorf, it's lovely street and great shops, expensive as it's a tourist place but really nice. I also think we liked it because we do miss a bot of Europe here ad Hahndorf gave us that so if you are near there then good on you because it's a lovely region of Adelaide.

Beau

We were staying in Hahndorf last weekend while visiting SA from Perth, it was much busier than I remembered.

We are thinking of relocating to Adelaide but the areas we like in the Hills are ridiculously expensive 😬. Were you able to negotiate a reasonable rate for staying in the AirBnB for an extended stay?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeauVinyl said:

Hi @Pompey gt

Glad to hear you are out of quarantine and have a rental, congratulations on that as I know how hard it is to get one and glad to hear the boys are enjoying school. We picked up the keys to our rental property today and move in tomorrow. We've been lucky that the owner of the AirBnB has let us finish the contract here early as we still had 6 weeks left in the AirBnB but we had to get what we could round here as the rental is in an ideal spot for all of us. We are moving from Blackwood into Hawthorndene and are situated close to the Blackwood station so that my wife can get a 20 min train into the CBD for work. This will also help as my son is in Blackwood secondary in January and he and his friends will all get the train there (only one stop along the line). Not all has gone too smoothly though, what is crippling us is OSHC and that the after school is full 2-3 days of the week meaning only on of us can work at the moment. We hope this will change in January when years 6 and 7 move up to secondary and there will be spaces for my daughter. I'm hoping that I've found a way round this as I do have a job starting on the 11th October and hope that if we can get the kids after school sorted then I'll be able to bring in a second income and we'll be good up until the MASSIVE Christmas holidays (7 weeks, I think) then we'll have to 'wing it' through those.

Beau

Do you not get Oshc subsidised?

11 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

We were staying in Hahndorf last weekend while visiting SA from Perth, it was much busier than I remembered.

We are thinking of relocating to Adelaide but the areas we like in the Hills are ridiculously expensive 😬. Were you able to negotiate a reasonable rate for staying in the AirBnB for an extended stay?

@Drumbeat yes, we had a discount of over £800 as we had booked the AirBnB for 10 weeks but luckily the owner is really good and I've helped her organise having solar panels on the roof so she's been good with us leaving.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lavers said:

Do you not get Oshc subsidised?

Hi @Lavers we get a minimum amount of subsidence from OSHC but it's not that, it's the availability that's tricky. We hope that there'll be more spaces available after Xmas as at my kids primary both year 6 and 7 move up so that the schools around here fall into line with the rest of Australia and that the starting year for Secondary is now Year 7 and not year 7 being the last year in primary. This will help. How are you these days? 

On 31/08/2021 at 13:18, Lavers said:

That cookaborough noise will soon start pissing you off haha

Do you really think so? We've been here for 9 and half years and I love hearing the kookaburras; I walked down to town this morning and there were black cockies preening, lorikeets squawking, magpies swooping (!) and it was just another reminder that we're still here in Australia and I marvel at that every day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flossybeth said:

Do you really think so? We've been here for 9 and half years and I love hearing the kookaburras; I walked down to town this morning and there were black cockies preening, lorikeets squawking, magpies swooping (!) and it was just another reminder that we're still here in Australia and I marvel at that every day.

You don't have to tell me about swooping magpies, I've got a hole in the side of my helmet of them.

Also you've spelt kookaburra wrong it's cookaborough 🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, BeauVinyl said:

Hi @Lavers we get a minimum amount of subsidence from OSHC but it's not that, it's the availability that's tricky. We hope that there'll be more spaces available after Xmas as at my kids primary both year 6 and 7 move up so that the schools around here fall into line with the rest of Australia and that the starting year for Secondary is now Year 7 and not year 7 being the last year in primary. This will help. How are you these days? 

Can be a pain in the arse OSHC.

All good mate, just waiting on some sunshine 🌞  especially at weekend. Been like the UK nice during the week then crap at weekends.