BeauVinyl

Moving To Adelaide

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone.

In these troubling times of Covid 19 I hope all are well.

I write to inform you all that myself and my family (wife, son of 12 and daughter of 9) intend to relocate to Adelaide in the next 3-6 months. It’s a variable date as we have accepted an offer on the sale of our house but at present, with lots of people working from home (solicitors especially), a date to leave the UK is hard to come by.

I am writing this to capture the positive and negative aspects of moving from the UK to Australia in these incredibly uncertain and difficult times for all so without further ado here is a bit about me and my family’s situation:

Our Visa:

We have a Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa so we are classed as Australian residents and can work anywhere in Australia, the only thing we cannot do is vote but currently we can fly into Australia. We received the visa in October 2018 which gave us 5 years to relocate to Australia (strangely enough it falls on my birthday, October the 13, so every birthday has been an odd milestone). We received this visa as my wife is an Ophthalmic/theater nurse so is wanted in Australia. My wife is currently going through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) registration process and has been placed in route 1 of 3 so we hope to have her approval in the next 4-6 weeks. This has been a nightmare and if anyone wants more info on this then please let me know and I/we can let you know the issues we have faced.

Our plans:

We want to be in Adelaide by September as we want our son to be in school (probably primary) by then. He is currently in his first year of secondary (UK) now but where we live (a very small ‘local’ town) the school situation is average at best and we feel that coming over to Australia will give him a new lease of life (a kick up the arse) that he needs. He was birthed/born in February so the school year he will be in is negotiable, but we are ok with this. We plan to relocate to Hallets Cove or around that area, anyone have any comments on this? We hear that Hallets Cove is hilly and windy and called ‘Little Britain’, not because there is only one gay in the village but because when it was being built a lot of English relocated there, is this correct?

I’ve worked for a global company for 17 years as a Production Director, so I hope to have some transferable skills, I’ve looked at LinkedIn jobs and most of the usual job sites that spew up 15 to 20 jobs a day in Adelaide, is this correct? Could anyone let me know what the job market is like over there as in, are there jobs going round for all? I am not afraid to start from ‘the bottom up’ in career fields so hope to get something pretty much straight away when we come out of the 2-week quarantine.

Living arangements

Reading most sites, the rentals in Australia are a nightmare so we hope to Airbnb it for 2-3 months, does anyone have any other comments/suggestions on this? We will be coming over with our house sale gains (AUS $300,000) is this a decent deposit on a house and if so, how soon can you buy once you relocate over to Australis or is it all dependent on your jobs? We’ve looked at this on many sites but all the sites we have looked at all seem to contradict one another so we are interested to hear what you all have to say on this.

So after the above I’ll sign off with a cheerful farewell and a hope that the above ‘wall of text’ will interest some people. If people could answer our questions then that would be fantastic, and if people have questions to ask us the please do, I look forward to answering all questions posed to me.

I look forward to hearing from you all soon,

Regards,

Beau Vinyl

Hi, and welcome to Adelaide (for when you do eventually land up here) 😎

We looked at Hallett Cove and yes, there are a lot of Brits down that way which can be a good thing or not, depending how you look at it.   We ended up buying in South Brighton just up the road, you do get a lot for your money in Hallett Cove but theres no real centre and I think if we were to buy down that way we'd look at Port Noarlunga instead.

Job wise sounds like your wife will be in high demand in healthcare, its an ageing population here in SA.   For you, the ADL job market is a funny one.   We both came here with no jobs lined up and I started off working in a car wash for minimum wage taking orders from an 18 year old (at the ripe old age of 37)!  Its often said its who you know in Adelaide and theres a fair bit of truth in that.   But once you get Aussie references and a bit of work experience it starts to come together and I now have a decent gig at the Federal government.   I found it quite tough at the start, what you'd done in the UK or who you'd worked for was largely discounted I found, they want to know what youve done here.

We have a 5 year old son who's thriving in the Aussie school system, having said that he was at kindy in Kendal, a small town in the Lake District, and he did just fine there too.  

Aussie/Adelaide rentals are indeed a nightmare in my opinion.  If you can get one via gumtree or similar then go for it.   If you go through agents you get tied to 12 month leases, if you buy during that 12 months youre breaking lease and have all kinds of issues arising there.  Very inflexible and whenever Ive suggested a rolling lease the agents have looked at me like ive got an extra head 🙂 

Air bnb is flexible but can work out very expensive, to be honest you may have to bite the bullet and commit to renting for 6 months/1 year, if you can somehow deal direct with a landlord to give you that flexibility when buying that would be better.  The market for both rentals and buying in Adelaide is competitive right now.   AUD300k deposit more than enough unless youre buying a mansion 🙂

Cheers and Good luck!

Hello,

There are lots of poms in Hallets Cove. In fact it's quite embarrassing, we are supposed to be integrating not setting up little britain. Personally I would avoid the area anyway as some of the surrounding suburbs are a little daggy.

The property market is hot here. Both sales and rentals are can be snapped up in just a few days. It works on the terms of the real estate agents - not something I particularly like!

I agree with the above about the job situation. I was lucky and managed to snap up an ideal job 5 mins from home. One you get your foot in the door you should be ok.

Cheers

Johhny Kash and JetBlast, thank you for taking the time out and replying to my post. I really appreciate it and for the comments that are incredibly insightful.

We have read and understand that rentals over there are a REAL pain to get so this is something we must investigate and decide on. We do understand that we will need to take a financial hit somewhere and this is probably, for the short term, where we’ll take it. The Air BnB option does give us flexibility that we want, especially as we are still indecided on the location we'd like to settle. We know it will be South Adelaide as we have researched most of the suburbs (homely.com.au being a great starting point for us) but listening to what JetBlast said about Hallets Cove I’d agree with what they had to say regarding integrating. We want to live in a diverse environment unlike here in the UK (small market town, 0% diversity) so moving from the UK to somewhere with lots of English isn’t what we want for ourselves or our children, so we’ll look at places around Hallets Cove, maybe towards the East.

We do know a friend of a friend of a friend that live in Noralunga and they like it down there so there always that area to investigate but, in all honesty, I’d like to be closer to the city and Hallets Cove distance feels good to me. I have also read that South Brighton is a great suburb to live in as well so there are options.

We still are looking to move over when our house sells but at present it is taking the solicitors, on average, 12-18 weeks for a sale to go through and the chain we are in is tiny. The frustrating thing for us is not having a move date cemented in so looking for work and contacting schools is tricky without an actual arrival and post quarantine date sorted. We feel like we are in a weird ‘limbo’ at present, but I assume most, if not all, people felt like this when you all made the move over there.

So once again I’d like to thank Johhny Kash and JetBlast for their replies and insightful informatio and I look forward to hearing from anyone else who has any opinions on this thread

I’ll wish you all a happy Easter and I’ll update soon when I have news.

Beau Vinyl

Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2021 at 11:23, BeauVinyl said:

We want to be in Adelaide by September as we want our son to be in school (probably primary) by then.

I'm not sure why you'd see September as such a milestone?  I can see it means he doesn't have to start a new school year in the UK, butif he starts in September/October in Australia, back in primary school, he'll be joining at the tail end of the school year when everything is winding down, and then in February 2022 he'll presumably start the new school year in secondary school, not necessarily with the kids he's got to know in primary.

On 03/04/2021 at 11:23, BeauVinyl said:

Reading most sites, the rentals in Australia are a nightmare so we hope to Airbnb it for 2-3 months

Comparing it with finding rentals in the South of England a few years ago, I don't see much difference, frankly.  Real estate agents touch up photos and misrepresent properties, so you'd be a fool to take on a rental in either country without viewing it first. Therefore an Airbnb or a holiday flat is a must.  Most people book 4 to 6 weeks and that's enough.  You can always extend if not.  Look at sites like Stayz as well as Airbnb.  

The only real difference we found with renting was that British rentals were more likely to be 6 month leases. But breaking a 12 month lease is not a big deal.  All you have to do is notify the landlord/agent in writing.  The landlord may ask you to pay for their advertising fees and admin costs to re-let the property, which is reasonable in the circumstances.  The new tenant gets a new lease so there's no lingering liability.   It's only a hassle if the market is slow, because you'll have to keep paying the rent until they find a new tenant, even if you've already moved out.

Agents may give you a funny look when you ask about rolling leases, but that's because they don't recognise the jargon.  Once a 6-month or 12-month lease expires, it automatically becomes a "periodic tenancy"--in other words, you stay in the property under a month-to-month lease.

@Johnny Kash - No sensible landlord/agent is going to offer you a month-by-month lease, especially if you tell them you're only planning to stay long enough to buy a house. Why would they, when they've got a queue of genuine long-term renters ready to sign up?  If you were trying to rent out your own place, which would you choose?

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure why you'd see September as such a milestone?  I can see it means he doesn't have to start a new school year in the UK, butif he starts in September/October in Australia, back in primary school, he'll be joining at the tail end of the school year when everything is winding down, and then in February 2022 he'll presumably start the new school year in secondary school, not necessarily with the kids he's got to know in primary.

Comparing it with finding rentals in the South of England a few years ago, I don't see much difference, frankly.  Real estate agents touch up photos and misrepresent properties, so you'd be a fool to take on a rental in either country without viewing it first. Therefore an Airbnb or a holiday flat is a must.  Most people book 4 to 6 weeks and that's enough.  You can always extend if not.  Look at sites like Stayz as well as Airbnb.  

The only real difference we found with renting was that British rentals were more likely to be 6 month leases. But breaking a 12 month lease is not a big deal.  All you have to do is notify the landlord/agent in writing.  The landlord may ask you to pay for their advertising fees and admin costs to re-let the property, which is reasonable in the circumstances.  The new tenant gets a new lease so there's no lingering liability.   It's only a hassle if the market is slow, because you'll have to keep paying the rent until they find a new tenant, even if you've already moved out.

Agents may give you a funny look when you ask about rolling leases, but that's because they don't recognise the jargon.  Once a 6-month or 12-month lease expires, it automatically becomes a "periodic tenancy"--in other words, you stay in the property under a month-to-month lease.

@Johnny Kash - No sensible landlord/agent is going to offer you a month-by-month lease, especially if you tell them you're only planning to stay long enough to buy a house. Why would they, when they've got a queue of genuine long-term renters ready to sign up?  If you were trying to rent out your own place, which would you choose?

well we found breaking lease was a big deal.   As soon as we exchanged contracts on our house purchase we gave notice and offered to work with the agent to get the rental leased and avoid a void period.   They refused to even start marketing it until we handed the keys back.   We found potential tenants ourselves and again they refused to even start processing their application until we vacated, meaning those potential tenants went elsewhere.

Surprise surprise, this resulted in a void period of almost 3 months!   So the landlord/agent starts coming after us for the loss of rent, around $5.5k!   We had to go to SACAT tribunal with a counter claim of failure to mitigate loss from the agent and settled on one months loss of rent, all of which could have been avoided had the landlord and agent worked with us from the outset.

We found most ADL rental agents would insist you sign up to another fixed term (usually 12 month) lease.   Timing the purchase of a house with the end of a lease is pretty much impossible

Compare this to our last rental experience in the UK, after the first 6 months the agent/landlord was fine with us going onto a rolling lease, 2 months notice either party.   As a landlord myself in Edinburgh I also offered this to my tenants once they'd been through the initial 6 months and proved themselves to be good tenants - flexibility on either side and a bit of give and take, something Ive found sadly lacking in Adelaide rental agents.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Johnny Kash said:

well we found breaking lease was a big deal.   As soon as we exchanged contracts on our house purchase we gave notice and offered to work with the agent to get the rental leased and avoid a void period.   They refused to even start marketing it ...

I suspect if you'd made an immediate threat to go to the Tribunal, they would've changed their tune.  They would've known full well that they're required to take every effort to relet.   Sadly, too many dishonest agents rely on tenants not knowing their rights.

Interesting that Adelaide agents insist on you renewing the lease for another 12 months.  Under the terms of the standard fixed-term lease, it's automatic that once your initial term expires, you just go on a periodic tenancy (i.e. rolling lease), without any need for further paperwork or discussion.   That mechanism is written into the fixed-term leases in SA in exactly the same way as in NSW and Victoria.  In NSW or Vic, you may be asked if you'd like to sign up for another year, but most agents just let the lease roll over (I suspect because it means they don't have to do any paperwork!).  

I wonder what they'd say if they said you must renew the lease and you said "no, thank you"?  Would they really insist you move out and give themselves all the work of finding a new tenant?  It's not as if they can threaten to evict you on the day the fixed lease terminates, because they can't stop the lease turning into a periodic lease.  They have to give you a month's written notice and it can't be conditional (i.e they can't say, "renew the lease by .... otherwise take this letter as notice"). 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I wonder what they'd say if they said you must renew the lease and you said "no, thank you"?  Would they really insist you move out and give themselves all the work of finding a new tenant?

You have to give them 3 months notice that you don't want to renew. If you miss this you will be automatically in a new lease.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

You have to give them 3 months notice that you don't want to renew. If you miss this you will be automatically in a new lease.

From the standard SA rental agreement

12. Termination at end of fixed term A landlord or tenant must give at least 28 days’ notice to the other to end a fixed agreement at the expiry of the term. The agreement continues as a periodic tenancy if no notice is given.

It is possible agents aren't using the standard lease agreement, but I wonder if they are breaching the Act by doing so?   I notice this provision has only been in place since 2014 so maybe some agents are still using an older version and getting away with it, because tenants don't know any better.

But actually, finding solid information about renters' rights in SA seems to be difficult compared to other states. Maybe a reflection of something....

Edited by Marisawright

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

From the standard SA rental agreement

12. Termination at end of fixed term A landlord or tenant must give at least 28 days’ notice to the other to end a fixed agreement at the expiry of the term. The agreement continues as a periodic tenancy if no notice is given.

It is possible agents aren't using the standard lease agreement, but I wonder if they are breaching the Act by doing so?   I notice this provision has only been in place since 2014 so maybe some agents are still using an older version and getting away with it, because tenants don't know any better.

But actually, finding solid information about renters' rights in SA seems to be difficult compared to other states. Maybe a reflection of something....

That’s the other way around.

The landlord has 28 days as you quoted. But the tenant has 3 months to end the lease. 

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

That’s the other way around.

The landlord has 28 days as you quoted. But the tenant has 3 months to end the lease. 

But there's nothing in the standard lease document about the lease renewing automatically for another 12 months, it just goes on to periodic tenancy (which is month by month)