Nursing in Australia

Lou Gates

I am a qualified nurse nurse working in the uk. I worked in Australia Perth as a registered nurse in 2010 on a holiday visa. I have continued to pay for my Australian registration every year just in case one day we decided to immigrate. 10 years later we have decided that we want a future in Australia. I just want to see if anyone know for sure if my hours I practise in the uk keep my registration valid in Australia I have contacted aphra but they take a long time to get in touch. I’ve tried searching the internet can’t seem to get a definite answer.

also what is the difference between skills assessment and modified skills assessment 

look forward to your responses 

Thanking  you in advance 

4 hours ago, Lou Gates said:

I am a qualified nurse nurse working in the uk. I worked in Australia Perth as a registered nurse in 2010 on a holiday visa. I have continued to pay for my Australian registration every year just in case one day we decided to immigrate. 10 years later we have decided that we want a future in Australia. I just want to see if anyone know for sure if my hours I practise in the uk keep my registration valid in Australia I have contacted aphra but they take a long time to get in touch. I’ve tried searching the internet can’t seem to get a definite answer.

also what is the difference between skills assessment and modified skills assessment 

Thanking  you in advance 

Hi Lou Gates,

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here.

You say you have paid to maintain your AHPRA registration for the past ten years, so, if you are answering all the criteria at EACH yearly renewal period accurately and honestly, and your payment is accepted, then you remain a AHPRA Registered Nurse, permitted to practice in Australia.

It's easy to check yourself. The register is open to the general public, just enter your name etc in the search facility on AHPRA website and that will confirm if you remain registered in Australia.

5 hours ago, Lou Gates said:

Thanking  you in advance 

You say you already registered with AHPRA, so I must be missing something here.

Why do you need to know the difference in skills assessment ?

You declare your skills and current practice when you re register every year with AHPRA, so are you wanting to change your registration status after those ten years, to include something like midwifery ?

Sorry thought I was clear

i am British and live in the uk worked in Australia for only one year on a holiday visa 10 years ago

i am worried when we start the immigration process that because I haven’t practised in Australia for so long I will have to reapply. I more worried that I registered with aphra with a diploma in nursing and now the regulations have changed and you have to have a degree. 

I was also asking about the difference in assessments as still have to have my skills assessed for the visa. So i wanted to know what the difference was and which one would be applicable 

Thank you for your responses So far x

Hi Lou Gates, you say in your first post that you have "continued to pay .... for your registration"

Is that not the case then ?

If you have kept up your annual registration with AHPRA, then you don't need a skills assessment, as you have already been assessed when you initially registered.

Edited by AliQ

4 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi Lou Gates, you say in your first post that you have "continued to pay .... for your registration"

Is that not the case then ?

If you have kept up your annual registration with AHPRA, then you don't need a skills assessment, as you have already been assessed when you initially registered.

@Lou Gates needs a positive skill assessment (From ANMAC) so as to be eligible to apply for a skilled visa (like 189/190-PR pathway).

5 hours ago, Lou Gates said:

Sorry thought I was clear

i am British and live in the uk worked in Australia for only one year on a holiday visa 10 years ago

i am worried when we start the immigration process that because I haven’t practised in Australia for so long I will have to reapply. I more worried that I registered with aphra with a diploma in nursing and now the regulations have changed and you have to have a degree. 

I was also asking about the difference in assessments as still have to have my skills assessed for the visa. So i wanted to know what the difference was and which one would be applicable 

Thank you for your responses So far x

Hey!

You mentioned in your first post that you continued to pay for your AHPRA registration since the last 10 years so that means you do hold a valid RN licence from AHPRA at the moment. Correct me if im wrong here?

In that case, even though you haven't practiced in Aus as a RN but if you do hold a valid RN license from AHPRA, there wont be any issues. Now, that you have decided to come back to Aus, then please start looking at the 189/190 PR pathway VISAS and see which one suits you the best. Due to covid pandemic, the timelines have skyrocketed so be ready to wait (for almost everything starting from invitation to visa grant).
Also, for your query regarding difference between "skill assessment and modified skill assessment". First of all there are 3 types of skill assessment done by ANMAC: Modified, Modified Plus and lastly, Full skills assessment. As you said, you have AHPRA reg then you will qualify for a Modified skills assessment. Please go through the ANMAC website if you have more doubts on this. @paulhand has shared the ANMAC link in a previous reply.

Edited by Pooja Negi