From backpacker to PR

Emmy_18

Hi all,

I came out as a backpacker knowing there was a chance I might stay. I'm now going through the de facto visa process and wonder what I need to do in England to "tie up loose ends". Are there specific people I have to let know?

I still have active bank accounts and licence etc registered to my mum's address which i'll continue to keep as we go back to the England approx once a year (pre-covid anyway). I was reading a blog on here earlier that mentioned not being entitled to NHS in England as there is a period of paying no tax or national insurance.

So long story short, as my PR approaches, what do I need to do in England? Moving back in the future has not been ruled out.

• Like 1

There's no need to do much.   We didn't change our address with the bank. We didn't want them posting stuff (like replacement cards) to Australia, because we only need them when we're in the UK anyway.  If you're earning interest on your accounts, though, you should let them know, because being overseas could affect the tax liability. 

You'll need to show your UK licence when you get your Australian one.  It's not valid if you're not resident in the UK anyway, but there's no need to notify them.  In practice, you're not going to use it anyway unless you return to the UK to live (even for a hire car when on holiday, you're better off using your Australian licence).

You should notify your GP that you no longer need to be registered with them.  If you go back to live in the UK, you'll just need to re-establish residency (i.e. get proof of address) and you'll be able to re-register. 

Tax is the main thing. You'll need to do a final tax return if you haven't already.

6 hours ago, Emmy_18 said:

Hi all,

I came out as a backpacker knowing there was a chance I might stay. I'm now going through the de facto visa process and wonder what I need to do in England to "tie up loose ends". Are there specific people I have to let know?

I still have active bank accounts and licence etc registered to my mum's address which i'll continue to keep as we go back to the England approx once a year (pre-covid anyway). I was reading a blog on here earlier that mentioned not being entitled to NHS in England as there is a period of paying no tax or national insurance.

So long story short, as my PR approaches, what do I need to do in England? Moving back in the future has not been ruled out.

My son did this too, went out as a backpacker in 2010, became PR in 2019. He keeps a UK bank account open which has been useful when coming back home. Statements are sent to our address. He let his UK driving licence lapse but wished he'd kept this up to date. We have never informed our GP that he lives abroad because, you never know what's round the corner, he may come back. Unlikely, but who knows? I've no idea about the rights & wrongs or legal ins & outs, just commenting from our experience. 

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Our daughter came as a backpacker in 2010, PR through partner visa 2016, citizen 2018. I doubt she did anything apart from keep her bank account open now with her Australian address, and a small amount gets paid in to keep it current. 

I should amend the above, she came on the WHV,  at age 30 with no intention of backpacking, just wanted to spend a year here to be near us, had plenty of work experience, so a slight hope of being able to stay on. Met her partner on her first week in Sydney and as they say the rest is history!! 

Apply for you tax file number on line. You must be in Australia to do this.  Open an Aus Bank account (can be done from UK) and verify in person once you get here.  Cancel any insurance in the UK, check but most will not be valid overseas. Cancel subscriptions that will no longer apply. 

• Like 1