Temporary Visitor Visa - Exemption during COVID for MIL

SteveinPerth

Hi,

My wife and I are both permanent residents of Australia and are expecting our first child in June. We are hoping to bring my mother in law over for the birth and first month as we don’t have any other family here (beyond being family her job is caring for new mums post birth). She, like us, is a British citizen but residing in Singapore on a long term visa.

Has anyone had any experience in applying for visa exceptions for this type of thing (or for any other reason) during COVID? Also we are in WA. 

Many thanks, 

Steve

Hi Steve, 

Firstly , congrats on your first bub . I have a friend who had her first baby back in September , she is also UK citizen and has PR in Australia. She is a single mum and applied for her mother to fly over for the birth and to stay for first month for help as she has no family here and the request was denied sadly. Her mum does live in the UK though so that might have made a difference.

Like other have said doesn't cost anything to try though, Goodluck!!

Hi SteveinPerth, you can try applying for a travel exemption for your MIL based on compassionate and compelling reasons (https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions). DHA doesn't provide any clear guidance on what constitutes "compassionate and compelling reasons" other than the "death or critical illness of a close family member", however it doesn't hurt to try. Your MIL will also need to have a visa to travel to Australia.