Flights to Australia - reliability?

ADM21

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

My concern with SIA is that you cannot transit Singapore to Perth, the stay on plane option won;t work as it isn't the same plane.

Oh is it not? I didn't realise that! Why aren't they doing that for the Perth flights I wonder?!

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think it isn't anyway, because you always change planes from LHR to PER, the main plane goes on to Mel or SYD.

Either way you've got a great price and you've got flights! What a relief! Very happy for you and hope it all goes smoothly when your flights come round. I have fingers crossed that flights will be a little more reliable by then. 

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think it isn't anyway, because you always change planes from LHR to PER, the main plane goes on to Mel or SYD.

I'm currently looking at £5k for a family of 5 with Singapore (4 seats with a lap infant). 

My budget is falling to pieces 😅

8 minutes ago, bicek said:

My current regret is not booking something earlier before Singapore jacked up their prices. Because they also have free unlimited changes for a period of time. It's just not clear when we can get a quarantine space for our cat and we need to time our flights with theirs. 

We were in the same position with our dog in the end when we tried to book in early Dec last year thisJune was the first date for pet quarantine availability so we have worked around that booking. Even though the pet flights don't actually get booked until only 3-4 weeks before travel date. 

3 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

We were in the same position with our dog in the end when we tried to book in early Dec last year thisJune was the first date for pet quarantine availability so we have worked around that booking. Even though the pet flights don't actually get booked until only 3-4 weeks before travel date. 

Yeah, I think the quarantine space is the issue and not so much the flights for animals. So the quarantine space is what dictates when we can actually get them sent over. Really hoping we can time our flights with our pet closely enough that is reasonable. And that the pet quarantine doesn't hold us up! It is taking forever to sort the initial rabies work - I had no idea you had to wait weeks between each appointment and the results otherwise I would have started the process much sooner!

Edited by bicek

9 minutes ago, bicek said:

Yeah, I think the quarantine space is the issue and not so much the flights for animals. So the quarantine space is what dictates when we can actually get them sent over. Really hoping we can time our flights with our pet closely enough that is reasonable. And that the pet quarantine doesn't hold us up! It is taking forever to sort the initial rabies work - I had no idea you had to wait weeks between each appointment and the results otherwise I would have started the process much sooner!

Oh yeah you have to have that back before you can start the process for booking quarantine. Our dog's rabies runs out in August so we had to push through as didn't want to have to start all over 🙈 

Should be about 4 weeks between getting the jab and doing the blood test to confirm immunity. After that it cs move quickly for the actual booking. Good luck it's an added stress with a fur baby to arrange I know. 

19 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Congratulations 🎉 the next step is in place feels good to make positive moves forward. The fares are good too. 

Assuming by your name that you're headed for Tasmania? Will you be flying into Sydney or Melbourne first and then catching a domestic flight after quarantine? Can I ask who you're booked to fly with?

3 minutes ago, bicek said:

Assuming by your name that you're headed for Tasmania? Will you be flying into Sydney or Melbourne first and then catching a domestic flight after quarantine? Can I ask who you're booked to fly with?

Yep we are flying into Sydney with Qatar then we do quarantine and fly into Tasmania. Looks like we can't fly same day as quarantine release so think we will stay in Sydney for 2 or 3 nights I think. Who knows that may even feel like a holiday 😂

Edited by Heading4Tassie

13 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Yep we are flying into Sydney with Qatar then we do quarantine and fly into Tasmania. Looks like we can't fly same day as quarantine release so think we will stay in Sydney for 2 or 3 nights I think. Who knows that may even feel like a holiday 😂

We are headed to Melbourne but I think we will book to fly to Sydney as well. The caps are more generous there and the accommodation is meant to be really good. And at the moment, feels more certain that international flights will be landing there. And like you say, a few days in Sydney after release from quarantine might be quite nice! I think anything will feel like a holiday after all this covid stuff. I'm also (bizarrely) slightly looking forward to quarantine 😂. Just any change feels exciting! I know, I'll probably regret saying that ha ha. But I will feel a huge sense of relief to get that far, so I doubt I'll be complaining much if/when we make it. 

That's great news that the import/quarantine stuff for pets moves quickly once you get the results through. I am COUNTING THE DAYS until the test results come back. Feel very anxious to speed it along but totally helpless to do anything. I just have to wait, which is excruciating. 

6 minutes ago, bicek said:

We are headed to Melbourne but I think we will book to fly to Sydney as well. The caps are more generous there and the accommodation is meant to be really good. And at the moment, feels more certain that international flights will be landing there. And like you say, a few days in Sydney after release from quarantine might be quite nice! I think anything will feel like a holiday after all this covid stuff. I'm also (bizarrely) slightly looking forward to quarantine 😂. Just any change feels exciting! I know, I'll probably regret saying that ha ha. But I will feel a huge sense of relief to get that far, so I doubt I'll be complaining much if/when we make it. 

That's great news that the import/quarantine stuff for pets moves quickly once you get the results through. I am COUNTING THE DAYS until the test results come back. Feel very anxious to speed it along but totally helpless to do anything. I just have to wait, which is excruciating. 

Pretty much our thinking regarding the flights. Initially I did have Melbourne but just got a feeling I should swap to Sydney so I did. Presently not thinking about all the other pieces that need to fall into place at the same time. 

I Know what you mean about any change, just getting out of the house for something other than food shopping will be a joy.  

49 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Should be about 4 weeks between getting the jab and doing the blood test to confirm immunity. After that it cs move quickly for the actual booking. Good luck it's an added stress with a fur baby to arrange I know. 

How long did it take to actually book a quarantine space once you got the results through? Was it days or weeks?

We waited 4 weeks between the jab and the RNAT test. And they've told us it takes about 4 weeks to get the results back from the lab. So after that we can then submit those documents, but not sure how long it actually takes for that bit, to secure the quarantine space. 

20 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Pretty much our thinking regarding the flights. Initially I did have Melbourne but just got a feeling I should swap to Sydney so I did. Presently not thinking about all the other pieces that need to fall into place at the same time. 

I Know what you mean about any change, just getting out of the house for something other than food shopping will be a joy.  

Seems sensible. Yes there's so much to consider and account for in this whole process. A little overwhelming to think about more than a bit at a time!

Putting our house on the market in the next couple of weeks. Not expecting that bit to go through smoothly at all. Does it ever?! 😅

6 minutes ago, bicek said:

How long did it take to actually book a quarantine space once you got the results through? Was it days or weeks?

We waited 4 weeks between the jab and the RNAT test. And they've told us it takes about 4 weeks to get the results back from the lab. So after that we can then submit those documents, but not sure how long it actually takes for that bit, to secure the quarantine space. 

They apply for the import permit first then once they have this then can request quarantine space.  Think it was about 3 weeks in total we needed to get booked in quick as the RNAT was running out in July. Fingers crossed it will be arranged quickly. Are you using an agent? 

4 minutes ago, Heading4Tassie said:

They apply for the import permit first then once they have this then can request quarantine space.  Think it was about 3 weeks in total we needed to get booked in quick as the RNAT was running out in July. Fingers crossed it will be arranged quickly. Are you using an agent? 

Yes we are using Petair UK. Have you gone through an agent too? 

I have no idea if the wait times have improved or got worse. Around December time they were telling us it could be 6-8 months waiting time on a quarantine place. 😬

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Much as we miss not having pets at the moment, I don't envy you the additional stress of moving them.

The idea of relocating overseas pre-covid seems quite straightforward and stressfree in comparison 😅 (although in reality I know it's never without stress!). 

Once you are settled in Aussie you will be able to get a furry friend!

Yes it certainly makes it more complicated, I'll be relieved when we all make it over there and get reacquainted with our furry friend in our new home. If the timings get complicated we could be separated for longer than we would like. 

4 hours ago, bicek said:

Im pleased the question of quarantine was asked because i was wondering the same!  Ive signed up to Petair UK too but we are not very far in the process, our cat only had the jab last week and now having to wait the 4 weeks until the bloods. I am also hoping we can coincide ourselves with the arrival of our cat on the other side in Sep/Oct!! SO much to co-ordinate and now reading all this about cancelled flights and flying into Sydney instead has me re-thinking everything  🙂   With 3 kids we were thinking of going to stay in Singapore but with the added Covid tests etc i think we are just going to try go straight and get it over with!!

I hope someone who has done it all comes back on here to comment. About flying into Melbourne, the quarantine in Melbourne etc.. That would be nice, Lol!!

I hope things ease later on this year with all the new rules - that would be ideal!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bicek said:

Yes we are using Petair UK. Have you gone through an agent too? 

I have no idea if the wait times have improved or got worse. Around December time they were telling us it could be 6-8 months waiting time on a quarantine place. 😬

Yes we are using pet air they have been very good.

It was definitely a 6 month weight in December as that is when we were able to book in for 4th June arrival for the fur kid

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 18:25, Heading4Tassie said:

Yes we are using pet air they have been very good.

It was definitely a 6 month weight in December as that is when we were able to book in for 4th June arrival for the fur kid

We've just had the blood tests come back yesterday for our cat (earlier then expected yay!) so I've uploaded everything last night and hoping we can get an import permit and quarantine space secured for him in the next few weeks 🤞

42 minutes ago, bicek said:

We've just had the blood tests come back yesterday for our cat (earlier then expected yay!) so I've uploaded everything last night and hoping we can get an import permit and quarantine space secured for him in the next few weeks 🤞

That's great news 😊 then you can start building the rest of your plans around the pet quarantine. It's a good feeling when u can start getting plans in place. 

• Like 1

We currently have flights booked for LHR to MEL at the end of June with Qatar Airways, but the fact that international flights haven’t restarted to Melbourne since the recent snap lockdown is a constant reminder of the fragility of the situation, knowing that our flight could easily get cancelled a few days before and be stuck in limbo not able to find another affordable flight for months after.

For this reason I am thinking of booking a second flight for a few weeks later to Sydney as it seems a more reliable destination and the likelihood of both destinations being out of action unlikely. I am not in the position to be able to waste money, so this is on the premise of the Qatar Airways flexible booking policy allowing for full refunds no questions asked and regardless of whether one’s flight is cancelled. Therefore if the Melbourne flight goes ahead as planned I can just cancel the Sydney flight and get a full refund.

Has anyone else tried this approach?

1 hour ago, OE17 said:

We currently have flights booked for LHR to MEL at the end of June with Qatar Airways, but the fact that international flights haven’t restarted to Melbourne since the recent snap lockdown is a constant reminder of the fragility of the situation, knowing that our flight could easily get cancelled a few days before and be stuck in limbo not able to find another affordable flight for months after.

For this reason I am thinking of booking a second flight for a few weeks later to Sydney as it seems a more reliable destination and the likelihood of both destinations being out of action unlikely. I am not in the position to be able to waste money, so this is on the premise of the Qatar Airways flexible booking policy allowing for full refunds no questions asked and regardless of whether one’s flight is cancelled. Therefore if the Melbourne flight goes ahead as planned I can just cancel the Sydney flight and get a full refund.

Has anyone else tried this approach?

That's an interesting point. I was actually wondering about this just today. I am planning to book flights in the next few days. Are Qatar still offering the full refund/cancellation no quibbles asked? 

I'm planning to fly with Singapore, but maybe I could book a Qatar flight as a back up plan and spread the risk a bit. People have suggested paying with paypal if there's the option because it's a much quicker process to get your refund in the instance your flight is cancelled. 

Frustratingly, we just got bounced on a SingAir flight from London to Perth.  Even though we were told 6 weeks ago our flight on April 7th would be one of the same plane services to transit singapore, apparently now its not.  Managed to rebook for 7th May, but cost an extra £1500.  Now we have the nightmare of finding somewhere to live for a month as everything ships on the 29th March and our tenancy finishes on the 6th April.

nothing we can do about it but hope the 7th May doesn’t get blown away as well.