Best visa option to get to Australia

Catrionaoconn

Hi All,

i am new to this forum but I wondered if anyone could offer some advise on my situation, I am a nurse in Ireland looking to immigrate to Australia and I would like to try get the skilled visa 189/190 , I have made an appointment with migration agent also. How do I go about booking an English test? And is there a specific one for nurses? I have started the AHPRA process but it will take a few months to be processed. Has anyone any idea how long these applications are currently taking?

Also, on a separate note , does anyone know if working holiday visas are still being accepted?

I guess what I am trying to ask is what is the best/easiest way to get to Australia? Obviously, in the current pandemic situation leaving Ireland and immigrating is going to be difficult but as things in Australia seem to be improving day by day and fingers crossed it stays that way, is it worth applying for a working holiday visa? And then focusing on getting the skilled visa when I get to Australia. I am so sorry if I have confused anyone, I am just very unsure myself on what is best to do. 

catriona 

No Working Holiday Visas yet, I'm afraid, and I doubt they'll be available this year.  We're doing well in Australia, but that doesn't meant we'll be opening the borders anytime soon - quite the reverse.  Virtually our entire population has never been exposed to Covid, so if we start letting travellers in wholesale, it would be a disaster.  We are only letting essential travellers in currently, and every planeload that arrives has several infected people on it. We're finding that with the new UK variant, even our strict hotel quarantine measures aren't strict enough.  So until the rest of the world gets its act together, I can't see our borders opening.

Your agent will answer all your questions. There is no easy way to get to Australia, I'm afraid.  As a nurse, you've got an advantage right now, because only priority occupations are being considered and you're one of them.  Howeer very few visas are being granted, so don't expect a fast journey.   In fact, it could well be that getting a WHV in 2022 may be a quicker way to get here. Good luck!

Edited by Marisawright

On 12/02/2021 at 22:24, Catrionaoconn said:

Hi All,

i am new to this forum but I wondered if anyone could offer some advise on my situation, I am a nurse in Ireland looking to immigrate to Australia and I would like to try get the skilled visa 189/190 , I have made an appointment with migration agent also. How do I go about booking an English test? And is there a specific one for nurses? I have started the AHPRA process but it will take a few months to be processed. Has anyone any idea how long these applications are currently taking?

Also, on a separate note , does anyone know if working holiday visas are still being accepted?

I guess what I am trying to ask is what is the best/easiest way to get to Australia? Obviously, in the current pandemic situation leaving Ireland and immigrating is going to be difficult but as things in Australia seem to be improving day by day and fingers crossed it stays that way, is it worth applying for a working holiday visa? And then focusing on getting the skilled visa when I get to Australia. I am so sorry if I have confused anyone, I am just very unsure myself on what is best to do. 

catriona 

Hello Catrions,

I agree with what @Marisawright said. The journey to reach Aus will be a very long one this time! In regards to your query for English language test, you can try OET (occupational English Test) which is designed specifically for Healthcare Professionals and is considered easier than the IELTS Academic in regards to getting the scores. When I appeared for an English test, Aus/AHPRA was not accepting OET (in 2017) so I had to go with writing IELTS twice to get the required score.
Also, the overseas AHPRA application process for you might be a bit different than what I did back then as you are a RN in Ireland so I feel it will be smooth but expect a few delays thanks to COVID19. I'm a RN from India so we have to follow a complete different pathway for AHPRA registration. Anyway wishing you luck with your Aussie journey! 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 11:54, Catrionaoconn said:

Hi All,

catriona 

An offshore nurse (UK) from my immigration agency just recently recieved her grant after 12 months of waiting. She is definitely lucky, but they're is a possibility for you as well nonetheless. Obviously everything depends on your point score, but considering your occupation, the odds may be in your favour. 

• Like 1

Re English, definitely do Pearson over IETLS. Pearson is all computer based, so fairer than the IETLS where it is up to the discretion of the person examining you. Our migration agent said that in 10 years she has not known anyone doing the IELTS to pass it first time. Much better prospects with Pearson. Sign up for E2 language online course to prep for Pearson. You get online video classes and can do mock exams to boost your confidence. Both myself and hubby did this and both got 90s across the board. You do have to work for it but once you figure out the formula for each section you'll be fine. We each did about 2-3 weeks prep. We are native speakers mind and have no strong accent. I believe a Liverpudlian recently failed on speaking...so guess there are downsides to computer algorithms.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

thank you all SO much for this information, it has helped loads. Yeah I totally agree it will be a LONG time before the borders will open again but I guess the best option may be to apply for a Skilled visa and try get some sponsorship in an aged care facility which I’ve heard are always struggling to recruit enough nurses. I spoke to a migration agent this evening also who I would really recommend it was Leanne Stevenson at Emergico , she was lovely to talk and explained things so well. She also said that it may be easier to apply to non regional areas in Australia for jobs. 

thanks again 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, armada said:

Re English, definitely do Pearson over IETLS. Pearson is all computer based, so fairer than the IETLS where it is up to the discretion of the person examining you. Our migration agent said that in 10 years she has not known anyone doing the IELTS to pass it first time. Much better prospects with Pearson. Sign up for E2 language online course to prep for Pearson. You get online video classes and can do mock exams to boost your confidence. Both myself and hubby did this and both got 90s across the board. You do have to work for it but once you figure out the formula for each section you'll be fine. We each did about 2-3 weeks prep. We are native speakers mind and have no strong accent. I believe a Liverpudlian recently failed on speaking...so guess there are downsides to computer algorithms.

I agree with you. PTE is way easier than IELTS/OET. I gave PTE to increase my point scores for GSM and ended up getting 89+ in first attempt. Well, PTE doesnt actually test one's english skills but if you need scores then go for it. I just practiced 2 weeks before the exam and went through E2 language free videos on youtube and it was enough whereas I worked on IELTS for two months and still ended up giving it twice. lol