Do apprenticeships count towards experience for TSS 482?

ksimpson94

(I’m asking for future reference post-Covid) 

I’m currently undertaking a painting & decorating apprenticeship, working full time with 1 college day a week. I just wondered if anyone knows whether this would count towards the 2 years of experience required for the 482 visa. Can this visa lead to PR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No,an apprenticeship does not count. A 482 visa does not lead to PR. There is a possibility that you may be able to apply for PR at the end of the 482 but it’s far from guaranteed 

Thanks but I’ve actually just read this on the immi website under the 482 applicant criteria 

72D5B8D3-EE19-41EA-BC79-B8087AFFC227.jpeg

10 hours ago, ksimpson94 said:

(I’m asking for future reference post-Covid) 

I’m currently undertaking a painting & decorating apprenticeship, working full time with 1 college day a week. I just wondered if anyone knows whether this would count towards the 2 years of experience required for the 482 visa. Can this visa lead to PR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

As a Painter and decorator, i am pretty sure you need 2 years POST qualification experience and any time spent ''training'' wont be able to be counted.

As far as i am aware, Yes, you can apply for PR after you have completed 3 years working on the 482 visa.

Cal x

4 hours ago, ksimpson94 said:

Thanks but I’ve actually just read this on the immi website under the 482 applicant criteria 

72D5B8D3-EE19-41EA-BC79-B8087AFFC227.jpeg

I hadn't come across that before. Most other visas require your experience to be post-qualification so I'm surprised.  The hurdle might be that the employer has to prove they can't find an equivalent local Australian candidate to fill the job.  If you're just newly qualified wiht no experience except your apprenticeship, I'd say that might be difficult to do.

That may be your problem anyway.   Why would an employer go through an expensive, complicated visa process to bring a relatively inexperienced painter/decorator out to Australia?  They're likely to be able to find someone like that locally.   Australia doesn't have desperate shortages of tradespeople now like they used to. 

Are you young enough to do a WHV?  If so, then that's your avenue.  Come over on a WHV, but instead of doing barwork/travelling like most people, work as a painter/decorator. With luck, you'll get a job with someone who'll be so impressed with you, they'll want you to stay and then they'll be willing to sponsor you. 

Edited by Marisawright

I think it’s different for an apprenticeship because I’ve actually been working full time for 2 years, which is different to a uni course etc. You can be be a painter & decorator without a qualification. I’m only telling you what I’ve read. It asks for 2 years of experience and it says time spent on an apprenticeship can count towards it. 

15 minutes ago, ksimpson94 said:

I think it’s different for an apprenticeship because I’ve actually been working full time for 2 years, which is different to a uni course etc. You can be be a painter & decorator without a qualification. I’m only telling you what I’ve read. It asks for 2 years of experience and it says time spent on an apprenticeship can count towards it. 

It does say that. But what Immigration will accept and what an employer will want may be two different things 

That’s true, although I know from my WHV lots of people chose to stay on a student visa doing apprenticeships and accepted job sponsorships immediately after finishing. I think the trades are in high demand with the constant construction over there. We will see, Covid could prevent anything from happening for a long time anyway 😂

The company still had to pay a sponsorship fee and hire an employee with 2 years of experience from an apprenticeship. The circumstances aren’t really that different. That surely proves they don’t have the “more experienced” Australians, which is why you said I wouldn’t stand much chance with my apprenticeship counting as experience. So you’re now saying being offshore would be a reason an employer wouldn’t accept me? Are you a migration agent? Just curious

1 hour ago, ksimpson94 said:

The company still had to pay a sponsorship fee and hire an employee with 2 years of experience from an apprenticeship. The circumstances aren’t really that different. 

They are different due to the level of confidence.  Employers feel more confident making a judgment on someone they can meet in person, as compared to Zooming.  They are even more confident if that person has done some work for them, perhaps part-time, and has therefore proved they can do the job.  

I'm not a migration agent but that's not relevant. Migration agents do not advise on employment prospects, it's not part of their job.  I am a former manager with experience in companies which sponsored employees.

Edited by Marisawright

The best thing to do it speak to a migration agent and pay the small fee for professional advice. It is the only way you will know for sure regarding the options open to you. I have used Paul Hand recently to get some guidance and was very good. I would recommend getting in touch at SunCoast Migration and getting the right advice.

Certainly not but will give more information on his visa options at least and then it’s a case of weighing that up before looking at jobs. No point looking at jobs first when the nation is in lockdown. I would recommend getting advice on visas and the assessing your options and decide  the next move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenP said:

Certainly not but will give more information on his visa options at least and then it’s a case of weighing that up before looking at jobs. No point looking at jobs first when the nation is in lockdown. I would recommend getting advice on visas and the assessing your options and decide  the next move.

Absolutely.