Skilled visa points

Jo2007

Hi all, we are looking at a skilled visa as my partner is a plasterer however the points are confusing on different sites. It says you have to have 65 to apply. But on a different site it says if you have 65 points you are unlikely to be sucessful and you need 80+
whats everyone else’s experience with points/success? 
I’m not sure a plasterer is high up on the list anyway so that won’t help

34 minutes ago, Jo2007 said:

Hi all, we are looking at a skilled visa as my partner is a plasterer however the points are confusing on different sites. It says you have to have 65 to apply. But on a different site it says if you have 65 points you are unlikely to be sucessful and you need 80+

Actually it makes total sense.  It's like applying for a job.  The job advert will say you must have certain qualifications and experience.  Everyone who applies has those qualifications and experience.  But the employer is going to pick the person with the highest qualifications and the best experience.

Same with the visa.  There's a set number of visas available each year, so everyone is competing for those visas, just like applying for a job.   It says you must have at least 65 points to apply.  But in recent years, there are always plenty of people applying with 80, 90 or even 100 points - so many that they fill the quota, and no one else stands a chance. And you don't get a refund!  

So, both statements are right.

47 minutes ago, Jo2007 said:

Thanks for your reply. It was just confusing that’s all. So basically we don’t stand a chance then 

It is definately worth speaking to agent. They will be able to advise you properly on if you stand a chance with that particular visa, they may also be able to suggest ways you can claim more points. If that visa isn't going to work for you, they will know if other visa's are available that could work for you.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

But in recent years, there are always plenty of people applying with 80, 90 or even 100 points - so many that they fill the quota, and no one else stands a chance. And you don't get a refund!  

You frequently state that people who apply for visas with lower than the optimum number of points will lose their money/not get a refund

My understanding is that there is no fee to put in an EOI and people who don't meet the points cutoff are not invited to apply for a visa - so there are no actual visa costs until you receive an invitation to apply, by which time you're almost sure to get the visa. Of course there may be other fees associated with getting a skills assessment that won't be refunded but not for the visa itself. 

Is my understanding correct?

5 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You frequently state that people who apply for visas with lower than the optimum number of points will lose their money/not get a refund

My understanding is that there is no fee to put in an EOI and people who don't meet the points cutoff are not invited to apply for a visa - so there are no actual visa costs until you receive an invitation to apply, by which time you're almost sure to get the visa. Of course there may be other fees associated with getting a skills assessment that won't be refunded but not for the visa itself. 

Oh really? I thought as soon as you sent anything you had to pay the fees. I will look into that. Thank you

6 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Correct. The EOI application is free ... but you will have incurred costs for skills assessments and English tests at that point (and agent fees if you use one). 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jo2007 said:

whats everyone else’s experience with points/success? 
I’m not sure a plasterer is high up on the list anyway so that won’t help

Yes 65 pts is the minimum as per DIBP requirements. It depends on what visa type you are applying for.  Normally, independent skilled visa SC189, the higher points will get invited to apply first.

There are other visa types which only require 65 pts and you will get a chance to get invited. These visas are normally through State sponsorship (SC 190, SC491). Have you explored this option yet?

EOI submission if FREE.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jo2007 said:

Hi we would have 70 maybe 75 and yes sadly that’s with the English test ( not superior though as heard that’s almost impossible to get)  

Are you onshore or offshore? Plasterer is on South Australia state sponsorship skills list for SC190, SC491 and they only require at least 65 pts as long as you meet their state nomination requirements. At the moment, due to pandemic, most states do not accept offshore application for State sponsorship, you have to be onshore and living/working currently in the state.

1 hour ago, Monster said:

Yes 65 pts is the minimum as per DIBP requirements. It depends on what visa type you are applying for.  Normally, independent skilled visa SC189, the higher points will get invited to apply first.

There are other visa types which only require 65 pts and you will get a chance to get invited. These visas are normally through State sponsorship (SC 190, SC491). Have you explored this option yet?

EOI submission if FREE.

Hi thank you for your reply! we haven’t looked at that properly as we were told that’s even less likely.  But we wouldn’t know how go about a state sponsorship, any tips? 

58 minutes ago, Monster said:

Are you onshore or offshore? Plasterer is on South Australia state sponsorship skills list for SC190, SC491 and they only require at least 65 pts as long as you meet their state nomination requirements. At the moment, due to pandemic, most states do not accept offshore application for State sponsorship, you have to be onshore and living/working currently in the state.

Offshore 😞  so it would be a case of just waiting until they are accepting offshore applicants then? 

6 minutes ago, Jo2007 said:

Offshore 😞  so it would be a case of just waiting until they are accepting offshore applicants then? 

if you are offshore, with the current border closure, you might not have a big chance. Do you have all documents ready like skills assessment, etc.? I'd suggest, keep an eye once the border and state open its doors for offshore.

Each state has its own website that outlines their state sponsorship requirements, which occupations they can provide sponsorship for, and the state sponsorship process. It is actually straight forward.

Each state has its own process but normally, you will need to submit an application to the specific state first telling them you are seeking sponsorship from them (provided you meet their requirements). If you are successful in your sponsorship application, you will get an invitation from DIBP to apply for your visa.

Links for state migration sites:

1. NSW https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visas-and-immigration

2 .Victoria https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/information-for/skilled-migrants

3. QLD https://migration.qld.gov.au/

4. South Australia https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/

5. Western Australia https://migration.wa.gov.au/

6. ACT http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/portal/migrating/

7. Tasmania https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/

8. Northern Territory https://theterritory.com.au/migrate

All the best!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jo2007 said:

Hi thank you for your reply! we haven’t looked at that properly as we were told that’s even less likely.  But we wouldn’t know how go about a state sponsorship, any tips? 

You've been told wrong. 

The 189 is the Rolls Royce of visas because it's permanent and it lets you live and work everywhere.  Competition is fierce, so it's by far the hardest visa to get. You need over 90 points.

The 190 is the same as the 189 with one important difference - you have to promise to live and work in the sponsoring state for the first two years.  Points still count, but they're less important, because the state will look at what their specific needs are and how your experience matches what they need.  

The problem is that 190's aren't being offered as frequently, because state governments are getting fed up of people taking the 190, staying for the two years, then leaving. The whole point of the visa is that the state wants to attract skills to their state for the long term!

For that reason, the states are now inclined to offer the 491 visa instead.  That's a temporary visa, a bit like being on probation for a job. You have to live and work in the state for 4 years, then (provided you meet certain conditions), you can transition to a full permanent visa.   They're hoping that by the time you've lived somewhere for 4 years, you're really settled and won't want to move.   It's the least popular option because it's temporary and you have an extra hoop to jump through, so there's a lot less competition for the 491.

• Like 1