Are there "unofficial" requirements for approving partner visas? Such as work?

Questionsearch

I was chatting with a friend and we ended up talking about immigration and my partner visa, he said he knew someone who was on a bridging visa(tourist to partner) who was living with their partner, their partner(Australian citizen) was working and they were more than financially stable yet the department apparently rejected their application because the person with the visa was not working, something about "contradictory statements" because he said in his statement that he was planning on finding a job but he ended up not finding any and was depending on his Australian partner financially instead.

Could this story be true or is it the usual scary exaggerations/misinformation? I am asking because that made me worry because I, myself on my application said that I was planning on finding work yet with the pandemic and me becoming more aware of the extend of my partner's disabilities finding work has not been a priority.

Are there any "unofficial" requirements for approving partner visas that you are aware of? I keep hearing things like "they must work to benefit the economy", if not they might reject your visa application even if your visa is a PARTNER visa, which doesnt make sense because you are here to live with your partner, this shouldnt be about the economy.

Edited by Questionsearch

2 hours ago, Questionsearch said:

"contradictory statements" 

As above, I suspect there is more to this than noted in the OPs post. If the Department had adverse information the applicant would have had the opportunity to comment on it. 

There are no “unofficial requirements “ for a partner visa. The criteria are clearly set out in law and there is a significant amount of policy to support the decision process. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulhand said:

As above, I suspect there is more to this than noted in the OPs post. If the Department had adverse information the applicant would have had the opportunity to comment on it. 

There are no “unofficial requirements “ for a partner visa. The criteria are clearly set out in law and there is a significant amount of policy to support the decision process.  

Yeah i had those suspicions as well, I am honestly uncertain why I hear some people I know obsess over the economy and work when it comes to a PARTNER visa, after some research on 820 visa rejections, none of the rejections had anything to do with work or financial related stuff

• Like 2