Midwives / nurses applying for TSS

mwmol

Hello! Please bare with me as I’m very new to this and trying to get my head round Australia applications 🤯

I am a British midwife hoping to emigrate to Australia. I’m aware midwives are under the PMSOL list. I think the best way for me is to find employment and a sponsored visa TSS / 482? I’m not looking to gain PR straight away.

I know to apply to AHPRA to be able to practice in oz but you have to show up in 3 months as final identity checks? Is this still the case with covid?

I would like to move out there in the next 8-12 months - is this logistical? 

can anyone give me any advice on where to start, which part should I apply for first ie AHPRA or find a job .. 3 months is not a lot of time to find a job and sort visa once you get your registration!

TIA 😀

You're not likely to get a temporary visa any time soon, if in fact you ever do (they're not issuing them at the moment and an employer has to prove that they cant find an Australian to take the role)  If you go on a temporary visa you are not emigrating, you are working for a short time and there is a possibility, not a certainty that you might get a permanent visa down the track but generally you should expect to return home.  If you have a kids then the temporary visa is a very risky option, having to chop and change schools etc and possibly pay for their education.  

First step is to talk to an agent and let them walk you through it.

Actually, I believe they are still offering temporary visas to "priority" occupations, which is basically medical personnel.  So you might have a chance.  Having said that, I know you need registration before you can work, and registration can take months, so I'm not sure how the timelines would work.  

I notice you say you don't want PR "straightaway", implying you'll apply for it a few years down the track.  I would just say, don't just blithely assume you'll still be eligible when you feel like applying.  Nurses are in demand right now due to staffing up for Covid -  but before Covid, nurses were finding it hard to get visas because some states were over-supplied.  Once the pandemic is over, the oversupply situation is likely to be worse, not better, so you could find you're out of luck.  So if you are eligible for a permanent visa now, I'd go for it.