Driving

Reana18

This might sound like a daft question but when I’m eventually able to do my working holiday visa I am planning on getting a 4WD. Is there places for me to leave my car if I decide to go on a 3 day bus tour etc? If so are these places expensive or are they free? 

I've never thought of it before - any secure parking would come at a fee.  You could e.g. ask at the backpackers you were staying (but i'm guessing it would be at your own risk), get friendly with someone and see if they'll let you park on their drive.

• Thanks 1

Where would you leave your car if you went away for 3 days in the UK?   You may end up in a flat which has parking included.  If not, you'll be parking your car on the street and I don't see why you'd worry about leaving it there for 3 days.  If you are flying somewhere and want to leave the car near the airport, there are parking operators near the airport who will give you a daily rate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reana18 said:

I’m planning on sleeping in my vehicle and only staying in accommodations maybe once a week. I was thinking about leaving it on a street but I didn’t know what the rules were for that. 

Parking regulations are much the same as the UK so it’s just a case of finding a street that doesn’t have restrictions. Not too hard in the suburbs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Reana18 said:

I’m planning on sleeping in my vehicle and only staying in accommodations maybe once a week. I was thinking about leaving it on a street but I didn’t know what the rules were for that. 

If you are going on a tour that leaves from the city (in Brisbane this would include Bus, Ferry, Cruise etc) you will struggle to find free ,safe street parking. Your best bet but would be to speak to camp site owners about leaving it there and getting a taxi or train into the city or be friend someone who can store it at their house.

Cal x

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

If you are going on a tour that leaves from the city (in Brisbane this would include Bus, Ferry, Cruise etc) you will struggle to find free ,safe street parking. Your best bet but would be to speak to camp site owners about leaving it there and getting a taxi or train into the city or be friend someone who can store it at their house.

Cal x

Good point. Not sure what Brisbane is like but in Sydney and Melbourne they’ve really cracked down on people sleeping in their cars on streets or public car parks, so you’ll probably be in a campsite anyway