Impact of PMSOL on points thresholds?

Cobs_Ahoy

I wondered if anyone knew (or had any thoughts on) whether applicants on the priority skills list might get through on lower points than recent rounds of invites?

Im a nurse (mental health) with 80 points, from reading this forum I understand it’s generally difficult for nurses to get 90+ points, so wondered if the current healthcare focus might mean we are competing against each other rather than the whole pool of visa applicants. 

im very early in my plans as have a few options to consider in terms of timeline, but wondering if the PMSOL being in my favour means I should just go for it now.

any advice or musing gratefully received!

The PMSOL is only for employer sponsored visas and offers priority processing for:

Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186) 

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/pmsol

Ah thanks Paul, I had though that was the case at first but then saw another thread where someone applying for state sponsorship referenced their profession being on PMSOL, it got my hopes up as I presumed he was talking about 190.

Back to the (sensible) longer term plan....

17 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Ah thanks Paul, I had though that was the case at first but then saw another thread where someone applying for state sponsorship referenced their profession being on PMSOL, it got my hopes up as I presumed he was talking about 190.

That’s a decision for the individual state/territory...

On 18/10/2020 at 01:28, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Might this be a good time to look at an employer-sponsored visa, if that would get you priority treatment?   At least it would get you to Australia.  Of course, if you are bringing a partner and children, you need to consider the risk of disruption if you were subsequently unable to get PR.

Thanks Marisa,

I did contemplate it In the initial stages of my planning (when I had read about the glory days of relocation packages and streamlined processes for nurses!), but I would be bringing a husband and two young children so it’s a bit of a gamble. Although I think that would probably make PR more likely as the Australian work experience would bump my points up to be competitive. 

I haven’t read much about the employer sponsored visas as I was under the impression they didn’t really exist for nurses anymore, or at least not in the same numbers, not sure if the PMSOL and Covid has changed that, but it’s definitely food for thought.

Thanks both for the advice, much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 11:43, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Thanks Marisa,

I did contemplate it In the initial stages of my planning (when I had read about the glory days of relocation packages and streamlined processes for nurses!), but I would be bringing a husband and two young children so it’s a bit of a gamble. Although I think that would probably make PR more likely as the Australian work experience would bump my points up to be competitive. 

I haven’t read much about the employer sponsored visas as I was under the impression they didn’t really exist for nurses anymore, or at least not in the same numbers, not sure if the PMSOL and Covid has changed that, but it’s definitely food for thought.

Thanks both for the advice, much appreciated!

Hey Cobs_Ahoy,

Yes, you are correct about the employer sponsored visas, hardly any hospitals/age care gives sponsored visas to offshore applicants. This is coming from a fellow nurse who applied to many places but didn't get a positive response (every time they would ask my citizen/residency status before even looking at my profile). Having said that, one of my RN friend was lucky (very lucky) enough to grab one and she went to Australia in July (got a travel exemption as well because of our occupation). 
But in order to apply for an employer sponsored visa, you should have your AHPRA License. If not, I would suggest that you apply for one as COVID has really changed the status of our occupation not just in Aus but all over the world. Once you have your AHPRA license, it will be easy to grab one of the employer sponsored visas as I believe (guess) now more hospitals/age care/nursing homes would be willing to sponsor offshore applicants because of the PMSOL.

And anyway, even if you have to choose the (Sensible) long term plan, you would need your AHPRA license. 🙂
Wish you luck!

Edited by Pooja Negi

Cheers Pooja, that’s good to hear. Do you mind me asking how your friend found the job? Did she contact hospitals directly to ask if there were any sponsorship posts going, or was it a post advertised as open to sponsorship?

Interestingly there is another thread knocking around PiO at the min where the OP received his invitation to apply for a 189 with 70 points within a couple of weeks of submitting his EoI, so I’m wondering if despite the PMSOL being for specific visas, whether the listed professions are also being fast tracked across the board by immigration as I thought anything less than 90 points meant you were very unlikely to be invited to apply for a 189.