Queensland Business & Investment Visa has reopened. Blink and you will miss it!

Steve Elliott

Just a heads up that Queensland has reopened its business and skilled migration program.

As many of you will know the Business Visa program pretty much went into hibernation at the time Covid hit. All States and Territories have been allocated a small number of places for nominations prior to the budget on Tuesday 6th October.  Queensland reopened yesterday for applicants and will close again on Monday. Potential applicants must lodge a NEW EOI via Skillselect in order to receive a nomination. The process during this short window is different to the normal procedure insofar that your application needs to be decision ready. By that. I mean you have to have all your documents ready to upload immediately. In the past you had 14 days to upload your required documents to the BSMQ portal, however in this instance you have to do this within 24 hours of receiving a nomination which will be very different for many. 

Also priority processing is being applied to all the 188 streams except the investor stream.

Only applicants which address the following criteria will be considered.

• high-quality applications related to the COVID-19 economic recovery, or
  • businesses that focus on productive investment and job creation, or
  • businesses that have a regional investment focus within the business program

This will be tough for many potential applicants especially with tight timelines. After the budget, I'm sure the way forward will be a lot clearer but I suspect there will be an ongoing focus on businesses which can assist with the Covid19 recovery..

Hope this helps anyone considering Queensland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, this is a rush! I have been invited to apply through BSMQ and trying to get ducks in a row very swiftly.

I suspect they actually read my accompanying email supporting my application and didn't put initial weight on the points tally.

Can I ask, if I am successful in being nominated to apply for the 190 visa does my points tally still matter or are we over that hurdle at that point? Also, do we need a fingerprint check police clearance for a 190 or simply the name-based one? Nobody, including the police officer who did them, seems to remember having their fingerprints done!

5 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Can I ask, if I am successful in being nominated to apply for the 190 visa does my points tally still matter or are we over that hurdle at that point?

As long as you have 65+ and they were correct in the EOI then you’re good. 

5 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Also, do we need a fingerprint check police clearance for a 190 or simply the name-based one? Nobody, including the police officer who did them, seems to remember having their fingerprints done!

Depends on the country. 

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

As long as you have 65+ and they were correct in the EOI then you’re good. 

Depends on the country. 

Thanks for this Paul. We're from UK.

May well be in touch for your services if we get to the next stage of applying on ImmiAccount. I think I'll have a stroke if I have to deal with that website again!

Doug

15 hours ago, paulhand said:

🙂

You will need an ACRO  certificate. No prints needed. 

Cheers Paul. I assume since we have lived in Aus since 2018 the ACRO for our move/457 at that time plus an up to date National Police Check here (Aus) will be what is needed rather than a new ACRO from UK.

I wonder if this is in effect a "skills grab" for mainly onshore applicants deemed essential workers during COVID and businesses which would directly contribute to management or the recovery. This being the case it will be interesting to see how fast they move on this. Are other states doing similar?

2 hours ago, DrDougster said:

I wonder if this is in effect a "skills grab" for mainly onshore applicants deemed essential workers during COVID and businesses which would directly contribute to management or the recovery. This being the case it will be interesting to see how fast they move on this. Are other states doing similar?

As I understand it, the focus on onshore candidates is for two reasons.  Firstly, to avoid the situation where onshore applicants on expiring visas become unlawful and secondly, because there's not much point in granting visas to people overseas if they can't get flights to get here.

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

As I understand it, the focus on onshore candidates is for two reasons.  Firstly, to avoid the situation where onshore applicants on expiring visas become unlawful and secondly, because there's not much point in granting visas to people overseas if they can't get flights to get here.

I was meaning the focus on COVID and economic recovery skillsets. 

• 1 month later...

I have received invitations on 1st Oct, but my nomination have not been approved yet.  My migration agent said my application still under assessment.    Is that normal bsmq takes that long to get nomination?      
On their website it says only take about 10 business days.

bit frustrated for a such delay.

On 25/11/2020 at 01:52, Aswell said:

I have received invitations on 1st Oct, but my nomination have not been approved yet.  My migration agent said my application still under assessment.    Is that normal bsmq takes that long to get nomination?      
On their website it says only take about 10 business days.

bit frustrated for a such delay.

I believe there was a very short window where invitations that were issued by Queensland where applications required literally a 24/48 hour turnaround where applications had to be received by 5th October, the day before the federal budget was handed down. If your application had not been submitted by then, it will probably still be in the system.

On 26/11/2020 at 10:27, Steve Elliott said:

I believe there was a very short window where invitations that were issued by Queensland where applications required literally a 24/48 hour turnaround where applications had to be received by 5th October, the day before the federal budget was handed down. If your application had not been submitted by then, it will probably still be in the system.

Yup, it was all very fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steve Elliott said:

Queensland is open again and I suspect the trend in increased demand for Queensland business visas will only accelerate from here. Time will tell!

Just received nominated approval email on today. Bit surprised they work during Sunday.

thanks for your post 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 17:45, Steve Elliott said:

Just be aware, if you are considering an application for a business visa for Queensland, I am hearing strong rumors that they are approaching the limit of their allocated places and so, it is likely the program will close for this financial year in the very near future. 

Thanks for your information,

I have granted my nomination in Dec 2020. And visa has lodged.   Only the processing time is really annoying me.    

On 09/03/2021 at 19:28, Aswell said:

Thanks for your information,

I have granted my nomination in Dec 2020. And visa has lodged.   Only the processing time is really annoying me.    

Processing times for business visas have always been quite lengthy. At the moment priority is being given to the 188c.