Health insurance on 482 visa

Lauram1

Hi,

I'm so confused by Health insurance! I've read a few posts here but can't find any clear answers.

Were from the UK so will be able to access medicare via the reciprocal agreement. The terms of my visa state I must maintain adequate health insurance but does medicare count as adequate? If not, what does count? What needs to be covered? I've even tried to contact medicare but no reply.

Can we only apply for insurance specifically for temporary visa holders? Its so expensive šŸ˜«Ā 

Any help would be great, thanksĀ 

The reciprocal agreement doesn't cover you for everything so that's be a risk you'd take if you relied on it - it's only for necessary medical intervention and you may find that elective procedures aren't covered although some folkĀ do report that occasionally elective procedures have been covered. If you're a temporary resident then, yes, there are policies tailored to your needs and I guess they may cover repatriation which isn't an issue for permanent residents. Health insurance is expensive but you decide on your relative risk. People do rely on the reciprocal agreement, some win, some lose.Ā 

We've just resumed private health insurance on our return as we wanted to keep our lower premiums despite our age. It is expensive but, having used it in the past, to my extreme benefit we decided to continue it, Ā For us, choice of doctor, avoidance of waiting lists etc was very appealing.Ā 

• Thanks 1

There is a health insurance policy for overseas visitors who are eligible for reciprocal benefits, here:

https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/overseas-visitors/reciprocal-health-cover

Also be aware that dentistry and spectacles in Australia are not covered by Medicare - they're private and very expensive.Ā  So if you need regular dental care or wear glasses/contact lenses, it may be worth it to get Extras cover with a health insurance company.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There is a health insurance policy for overseas visitors who are eligible for reciprocal benefits, here:

https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/overseas-visitors/reciprocal-health-cover

Also be aware that dentistry and spectacles in Australia are not covered by Medicare - they're private and very expensive.Ā  So if you need regular dental care or wear glasses/contact lenses, it may be worth it to get Extras cover with a health insurance company.

Thank you. This is the policy im looking at already.