OK we have had OZ v UK now lets have which area of OZ is the best?

Que Sera Sera

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe everyone who is already here things where they are living is the best so it really comes down to what you are interested in, where you can get the best job or business and if you like it hot summers and warm winters or four seasons of the year.

More info please :smile:

Guest Pinhead
I have never been and I don't know where I will end up so where in your considered opinion is the best place to settle in OZ ? and for what reason ?:chatterbox:

That's easy. Melbourne because it's quite simply the best place to live in Oz.:jiggy:

Guest Jaynie

Cath I like the Central Coast NSW myself...has everything you need, loads of lovely beaches, affordable housing, great shopping centres, good weather, seasons etc.,

Guest Brickie

There is just so much of "Beaches" you can take, beaches are fun for a while but you cant live on the beach.

It all comes down to what you do in life, apart from beaches that is, life a beach isnt it? :smile:

It will be Syd for me but my husband is from there but Mel could be an option further on as I have been to both cities. Could not live in the country my mother in law lives past Windsor in NSW far to isolated for me and im only from a market town!

Guest Colin R

Sorry but the absolute bestest place in the whole wide world and Australia is TASMANIA. We are not boiled alive nor frozen to death, Nor eaten by flies we dont have that many.It has great wine , and food and more wine. Great beaches. Its not too busy or overcrowded. Most people think you are migrating to Tanzania so to be honest it can be an advantage with regard to people you really dont want to visit. Houses are still the most affordable in Australia. Beautiful countryside. And the people are friendly. Only one problem really that is the police and speed camaras sneeky little devils. They will keep giving me all these points and I havent got any prizes yet!!!

Sally

Guest Carl&Lisa
That's easy. Melbourne because it's quite simply the best place to live in Oz.:jiggy:

Pinhead,

What are your reasons for stating this, we are hopefully moving to melbourne and I would like to know why you think its the best place. I have read so many posts that slate the ozy life, expensive, low wages etc and so many people saying how good it was back in the uk and wishing they where on a plane back. I would like to hear something positive, because I don't want to start having doubts!!

Guest Jaynie
Pinhead,

What are your reasons for stating this, we are hopefully moving to melbourne and I would like to know why you think its the best place. I have read so many posts that slate the ozy life, expensive, low wages etc and so many people saying how good it was back in the uk and wishing they where on a plane back. I would like to hear something positive, because I don't want to start having doubts!!

there are several posters on here Lisa who delight in pulling Australia to pieces, however the vast majority of us love it here.

makes you wonder why the ones who pull it to shreds came here in the first place if the UK was so wonderful, why did they leave??? Never been told the answer to that one!

Guest Pinhead
Pinhead,

Why I love Melbourne (city centre).

Melbourne has all the best sporting events in Oz (F1, Tennis, MotoGP, AFL, Boxing Day test match,etc).

Has a fantastic arts and culture scene (compared to rest of Oz before anyone mentions it).

Wonderful gardens in the city centre

Probably the best shopping in Oz (for a city at least)

Loads a great resturants (one of the best chinese resturants in the world)

Has a real cosmopolitan feel with lots of diverse cultures

Great changeable weather with seasons (yes I know lots of people hate the weather in Melbourne!).

Lovely beaches right near the city (just a short trip down railway from Flinders St station).

Only a short plane journey to Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney & Hobart so a great base to explore Oz from.

Loads to do with lots of places to visit (e.g The Great Ocean Road, Grampians & Wilson Prom).

Loads of employment options with a heap of major companies based (plus some of the highest pay rates in Oz).

I would add that this is from a single persons view without a family, there may be better cities to raise a family (Adelaide?).

Well that's my opinion, I'm sure it'll now get ripped to pieces by the 'anti Oz' crowd.:notworthy:

Guest Carl&Lisa

Sorry Jaynie, 50% chance of getting it right.

I agree with what Brickie has posted, "that you can only spend so much time on a beach" this is not the reason why we are moving to oz, I would just like to see people poing out the good things. I guess it is easy for people who are happy with their choice to point out the positives rather than ppl who are unhappy with their choice to move

Guest Carl&Lisa
Why I love Melbourne (city centre).

Melbourne has all the best sporting events in Oz (F1, Tennis, MotoGP, AFL, Boxing Day test match,etc).

Has a fantastic arts and culture scene (compared to rest of Oz before anyone mentions it).

Wonderful gardens in the city centre

Probably the best shopping in Oz (for a city at least)

Loads a great resturants (one of the best chinese resturants in the world)

Has a real cosmopolitan feel with lots of diverse cultures

Great changeable weather with seasons (yes I know lots of people hate the weather in Melbourne!).

Lovely beaches right near the city (just a short trip down railway from Flinders St station).

Only a short plane journey to Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney & Hobart so a great base to explore Oz from.

Loads to do with lots of places to visit (e.g The Great Ocean Road, Grampians & Wilson Prom).

Loads of employment options with a heap of major companies based (plus some of the highest pay rates in Oz).

I would add that this is from a single persons view without a family, there may be better cities to raise a family (Adelaide?).

Well that's my opinion, I'm sure it'll now get ripped to pieces by the 'anti Oz' crowd.:notworthy:

Thanks pinhead, All the things we are looking for, its only myself and the misses moving over so from your list it looks like we have made a good choice.

As a mojor moto gp fan I will be hoping to get to the island on the 10th oct

C

Guest Jaynie
I havent pulled Australia to pieces I love it over here . and Tassie is part of Australia .

I didn't mean on this thread, I meant on the forum, there are certain people who delight in pulling australia to pieces, I never said it was you! sorry if you took it this way, I know you love Tassie and I will be coming there on holiday soon as I have heard such fantastic reviews about it.

:wubclub:

Guest Jaynie
Sorry Jaynie, 50% chance of getting it right.

I agree with what Brickie has posted, "that you can only spend so much time on a beach" this is not the reason why we are moving to oz, I would just like to see people poing out the good things. I guess it is easy for people who are happy with their choice to point out the positives rather than ppl who are unhappy with their choice to move

Hi Carl,

Believe it or not.........I very rarily go to the beach, I just love living over here, but occasionally strolling along the prom at Terrigal or Avoca does wonders for you when you see where you actually live, hearing the waves and seeing the surfers enjoying themselves. It's great!

Guest Carl&Lisa
Hi Carl,

Believe it or not.........I very rarily go to the beach, I just love living over here, but occasionally strolling along the prom at Terrigal or Avoca does wonders for you when you see where you actually live, hearing the waves and seeing the surfers enjoying themselves. It's great!

I hope to hear that soon jaynie, if only this poxy visa would turn up!!:arghh:

Guest Pinhead
Thanks pinhead, All the things we are looking for, its only myself and the misses moving over so from your list it looks like we have made a good choice.

As a mojor moto gp fan I will be hoping to get to the island on the 10th oct

C

Phillip Island is lovely, I'm not sure that the little penguins appreciate all those bikes:biglaugh:

Guest Colin R

Thats OK Jaynie didnt take it personally but I know what you mean about some replies. I didnt phrase my reply properly brains not in gear tonight . Nothing new there though !Hope you have a great time when you visit . Call in Kingston and say Hi.

Guest phoenix01
I have never been and I don't know where I will end up so where in your considered opinion is the best place to settle in OZ ? and for what reason ?:chatterbox:

:wacko:Whatever you do! Dont go to Perth. We r in perth and are leaving to go back to Uk, its that bad. I reccomend you try anywhere but!

Guest Bride2B
:wacko:Whatever you do! Dont go to Perth. We r in perth and are leaving to go back to Uk, its that bad. I reccomend you try anywhere but!

What's wrong with Perth? Why don't you like it? Sorry to hear it hasn't turned out well for you. We (me, OH and two year old) are keen to get to OZ, no idea where yet, but obviously want to try to choose the right place!

Guest Pinhead

I knew it wouldn't take long to turn this into a negative thread!:arghh:

Guest Colin R

I know , I know ,I sound like a scratched record and a sad person . But have a look at Tassie before you go back to UK or at least take a look before you come over! . Good site to look at is www.tchange.com.au No where pleases everyone but Tasmania and Australia pleases us.

Sally

x

It's all about personal preference isn't it - personally my family and I love it in WA as do quite a few on PIO, particularly the Bunbury gang - who have all settled down there.

Oh... and welcome to PIO Phoenix ... I noticed it was your first post.

Having two single young adults and knowing their friends they say Melbourne is the best place to live for young people. Live Band scene has always been good in Melbourne. Lots of little bars around the city which are popular with the young set.

For the next stage there are good schools, lovely parks, lots of sporting things to do, beaches if you like them, I like to live near the beach but am not a beach lover only like it in the winter.

As Victoria is the smallest State on the mainland it is not as far to get to places and there are lots of lovely places to visit, the high country, the Grampians, Port Fairy, Lakes Entrance, Malacoota. Lots of nice country areas to visit close to Melbourne.

Furthest point I would say is Mildura which is a lovely town nice place to visit.

I love Melbourne :smile:

Guest phoenix01
What's wrong with Perth? Why don't you like it? Sorry to hear it hasn't turned out well for you. We (me, OH and two year old) are keen to get to OZ, no idea where yet, but obviously want to try to choose the right place!

:chatterbox:Can I ask what your reasons r for moving to Oz? I have a young family of 3 boys and it was a tough decision to move and we have no regrets but I hugely recommend that you research well before taking such a big step.

Archived