Where to start.?

Good evening everyone.

hoping I can get some advise on here about plans to migrate. My husband is Australian and we have made the. Decision to take the plunge and move down under with our two children. We are hoping to arrive at the end of the. Year. We’ve mulled. It over for many years and looked into it several times. It was always our intention to apply for the visas once we were in Australia. We are confident after 13 years of marriage visa approval won’t be a problem. We were anxious to apply out of Australia as we would need to be out of Australia when granted.it just seemed a better option to apply once there. Given COVID, are tourist visas still being issued as I’m curious what visa I would need to travel there. Also, it says on the request to travel form said I need to state compelling reasons why I need to travel. The compelling reason being the time is right for lots of personal here. Any advice on the correct application process or how to travel during lockdown and closed border greatly received

There’s always a risk when applying on shore you’d be much better putting your offshore application in now and waiting until it arrives. Just because the end of the year may be good for you, that’s hardly a compelling reason!  Get it in right now and hope for the best. Even if you do travel in the meantime, it’s hardly a hardship to pop off to NZ for the day to validate the visa and you get peace of mind knowing you’re not languishing on a bridging visa for years. 

Get your kids’ passports sorted while you wait and your husband’s U.K. citizenship if he doesn’t already have it, you never know if you might want to return at some stage. There’s no telling when casual travel may resume so you might as well make the most of it. It’s a shame you didn’t Apply for your visa a while ago then you’d be sitting pretty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreambig1 said:

My husband is Australian and we have made the. Decision to take the plunge and move down... We’ve mulled. It over for many years and looked into it several times. It was always our intention to apply for the visas once we were in Australia.

As Quoll says, it’s a shame you didn’t apply for your visa a while ago then you’d be sitting pretty.  There's no advantage in applying onshore - processing times are much longer and if you want to work, you'll find it hard to get a job while on the bridging visa (you'll be able to work but employers are hesitant because they don't understand the visa).  

Your big problem right now is that if you apply onshore, you'll have to pop over to NZ and return to validate the visa - and with Covid, you may not be able to.  We have a few members in that situation right now, stuck on their bridging visa because no one is getting permission to make a short trip like that.  The Prime Mnister has made it clear the travel restrictions won't ease until at least June next year. 

• Like 1

Since the waiting time for a UK partner visa is 12-18 months and you won't be able to activate your visa till mid-June 2021 anyway, I'd recommend applying now from the UK and just being patient.  With so many other visas on hold, the partner visa processing times appear to be getting faster.

As Quoll says, in the meantime you could arrange your husband's citizenship if he doesn't have it already.   If he leaves the UK without it, he may struggle to get back in if you decide to return at some point - if he has Indefinite Leave to Remain, that will lapse.   It's far, far more difficult to get an Australian partner into the UK than it is to get a UK partner into Australia.   I suspect that will be important, as the fact that you've delayed the move for so long suggests you have pull factors in the UK as well as Australia. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

As Quoll says, it’s a shame you didn’t apply for your visa a while ago then you’d be sitting pretty.  There's no advantage in applying onshore - processing times are much longer and if you want to work, you'll find it hard to get a job while on the bridging visa (you'll be able to work but employers are hesitant because they don't understand the visa).  

Your big problem right now is that if you apply onshore, you'll have to pop over to NZ and return to validate the visa - and with Covid, you may not be able to.  We have a few members in that situation right now, stuck on their bridging visa because no one is getting permission to make a short trip like that.  The Prime Mnister has made it clear the travel restrictions won't ease until at least June next year. 

Have their bridging visas been extended ? The reason I haven’t applied off shore yet is we are waiting for husbands 2 year sabbatical to be authorised.... once authorised, would your advice  be to lodge application offshore and then travel over whilst waiting for it to be validated. ( not sure what visa I would travel with in the meantime as no e visas ?? ) Many thanks for your help 

50 minutes ago, Dreambig1 said:

Have their bridging visas been extended ? The reason I haven’t applied off shore yet is we are waiting for husbands 2 year sabbatical to be authorised.... once authorised, would your advice  be to lodge application offshore and then travel over whilst waiting for it to be validated. ( not sure what visa I would travel with in the meantime as no e visas ?? ) Many thanks for your help 

Why would you wait? Or are you not sure it will be approved? 

If you appy offshore then you must wait offshore until it’s granted, although you can visit Australia in the meantime on a tourist visa