190 Visa Skills Assessment (Victoria)

Hi All,

My wife and I are looking to emigrate to Aus and have been looking at various routes including 189 and 190. Assuming she passes IELTS with 8's +, that would only get to 85 points, so I think we've decided on the 190, being state sponsored through Victoria, bringing us up to 90 (which I hope would secure nomination?). 

My wife has a Mechanical Engineering Bachelors, having graduated in 2014, and has completed various engineering and engineering/project management roles since then, amassing just over 5 years experience. We're now looking at completing the Migration Skills Assessment through Engineers Australia, and have noticed that for a 'qualification only' assessment, it costs $470.80, however you can upgrade to include a 'Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment' (an extra $360). 

On the Victoria website for the Nomination Occupation List (here), the occupation of 'Mechanical Engineer' is listed, however it states that the Minimum work experience is five years. My question is whether in order to prove the 5+ years of experience she holds, we need to pay for Engineers Australia to validate her experience through the additional assessment? If not, how do we show this experience upon applying for the 190 visa?

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

Have you had a look here: 

https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/

Go through the descriptors. You should be able to prove that what you've been doing for the past five years meets and exceeds those listed above. That could be through Employer letters.

As an example, when I did my skills assessment, I made sure my employer's letters covered what was required by the professional body and the ANZSCO code descriptors. 

I went through Engineers Australia last year for a skills assessment,

Although I was required to go down the CDR route and not the Sydney Accord etc. anyway i opted for the following:

MSA Competency Demonstration Report and the Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment 

The relevant skilled employment assessment ensures that all your years experience is assessed. Just ensure that you provide plenty evidence, CV, references from all your employment.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Have you had a look here: 

https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/

Go through the descriptors. You should be able to prove that what you've been doing for the past five years meets and exceeds those listed above. That could be through Employer letters.

As an example, when I did my skills assessment, I made sure my employer's letters covered what was required by the professional body and the ANZSCO code descriptors. 

Hi Duke, thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the finer detail on the ANZSCO code and we should be able to prove that we have five years experience under that code descriptor no problem.

The only query I have is whether it's a requirement to get Engineers Australia to validate that five years + of experience or not - I don't want to waste $360AUD if I can just provide the Victorian govt the evidence instead, and don't need it validated through Engineers Australia!

8 hours ago, ozpaul said:

I went through Engineers Australia last year for a skills assessment,

Although I was required to go down the CDR route and not the Sydney Accord etc. anyway i opted for the following:

MSA Competency Demonstration Report and the Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment 

The relevant skilled employment assessment ensures that all your years experience is assessed. Just ensure that you provide plenty evidence, CV, references from all your employment.

Good luck.

Thanks Paul - as we're applying through the Sydney accord I'm still really unsure as to whether the relevant skilled assessment is needed. Were you required to have the skilled employment assessment as you went through the CDR route, or could you have just picked the CDR on its own?

On 20/05/2020 at 03:23, SamBancroft said:

Hi Duke, thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the finer detail on the ANZSCO code and we should be able to prove that we have five years experience under that code descriptor no problem.

The only query I have is whether it's a requirement to get Engineers Australia to validate that five years + of experience or not - I don't want to waste $360AUD if I can just provide the Victorian govt the evidence instead, and don't need it validated through Engineers Australia!

Hi mate,

Think of it this way: What's $360 "wasted", if it turns out to be THE deciding factor?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Hi mate,

Think of it this way: What's $360 "wasted", if it turns out to be THE deciding factor?

Duke - fully agreed, after reading the above we've decided it's worth it just for the peace of mind, whether it's a defined requirement or not!

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Honestly, if you can't afford to invest an extra $360 to get your skills validated, you can't afford to migrate.  

Thanks for your kind input Marisa... Nothing to do with me not being able to afford it... just trying to reduce costs wherever possible which are optional and/or may not be required! The more we say "ahh, we'll just pay this" and "ahh, let's just pay that" means that the variable costs for the whole process increase (on top of those which we could call fixed costs, such as the visa fee, which you obviously have to pay for no matter what) - but perhaps that is me just being an overly frugal Project Manager!