Watch iPlayer on a Sony TV?

Clarence

Hi All, we're a bit desperate for some comfort tv (my husband is making his way through all the Jonathan Creeks). The VPN works on his teeny tiny phone screen but we can't get iPlayer on the Sony smart TV. We've tried PIA and NordVPN and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions we could try?

PS: we actually still pay for a TV license in the UK so don't feel guilty about trying to watch here....

You should be able to screen mirror on to the TV.  We did that for a while but now use an Apple TV that thinks it is in the UK. We have all the UK TV apps, Netflix, prime , and Aus tv apps on the tv and navigate that way.  Works better than mirroring. 

You might need to google your specific issue as phone/tv combos differ.  Our TV is Samsung. 

@Lavers that sounds like an option, how does one go about getting a firestick with dodgy channels? 

@rammygirl I forgot to mention it in the original post but frustratingly it won't mirror when the VPN is on. Did you buy the apple tv in the UK and plugin here? 

Weirdly our TV was bought in Australia so came with apps like ninenow, abc etc but won't let us run them because it thinks it thinks we're in the UK. Possibly because it's linked to our gmail accounts. Too hard.

The current Apple TV box was bought in Aus but we used a UK one for a while.  We now have the Apple TV on a UK IP address not VPN (DNS I think) .  We can download apps from UK tv and play and we still have Aus tv apps working too.  Only thing is that to change between UK and Aus is possible but we don’t bother now.  Means the prime and Netflix feeds are UK, But if we want an Aus feed we can. 

It did take a while to get our heads round it.  We use express VPN which also provides the UK ip. The one subscription does for three households, as both sons share (one is interstate).  We sort of do it between us as one pays for Netflix that we all share too.

Edited by rammygirl