AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

I had my interview and test today. Received the approval within one hour. 

Applied for citizenship: sept 2020

Invitation: January 2022

Test & interview: 11th Feb 2022

Approved: 11th Feb 2022

I'm from Europe 

Question: What is the wait time currently in Melbourne for the ceremony invite? Anyone had experience lately? 

Thanks

On 05/02/2022 at 18:35, Athens07 said:

You will never get an email for citizenship approval. You will only receive a letter via post office and also your account status will be changed to approved.

I received an email exactly 46 mins after i left the test centre with an attachment for my approval letter addressed by current Immi minister (Alex Hawke). But i have received no 'post' communication in over 2 weeks since my interview. Doesn't make much difference anyway as long as it shows on account status as 'Approved' 

On 11/02/2022 at 13:58, Fr3ns3n said:

I had my interview and test today. Received the approval within one hour. 

Applied for citizenship: sept 2020

Invitation: January 2022

Test & interview: 11th Feb 2022

Approved: 11th Feb 2022

I'm from Europe 

Question: What is the wait time currently in Melbourne for the ceremony invite? Anyone had experience lately? 

Thanks

It doesn't make any difference whether you came from Europe or India.

Currently ceremony waiting period could be estimated from 6 to 12 months in Vic.

On 11/02/2022 at 13:13, Sk8009 said:

Hi just lodged my citizenship and my current visa which is skilled permant resident visa expires March 7th. Will I get an email once this clocks over to a bridging visa or will it just all be automatic?

thanks for the advice 

Permanent Visa's don't expire. If you were on a temporary visa (which do expire and may therefore need a bridging visa) you would not be able to apply for citizenship. Bridging visas are temporary and not permanent visas. You do however only get 5 years on the travel portion of a permanent visa and you can't enter Australia after the end of those five years - but you can stay permanently.

If you want to travel overseas after the 5 year travel portion of your permanent visa has expired you need to obtain a Resident Return Visa which allows you to travel for another 5 years. Obtaining a Resident Return Visa isn't automatic you need to apply for it - but if you aren't going to travel overseas before your citizenship comes through there is no point in applying.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2022 at 14:13, Sk8009 said:

Hi just lodged my citizenship and my current visa which is skilled permant resident visa expires March 7th. Will I get an email once this clocks over to a bridging visa or will it just all be automatic?

thanks for the advice 

It's only the travel facility that expires. If you never leave Australia, you never have to do anything. The visa itself remains in effect. If you are planning to leave Aus before you become a citizen, you need to apply and pay for a RRV, which costs about $400 IIRC and will be approved very quickly.

On 15/02/2022 at 14:56, Waiting_in_vic said:

Appointment and test pass about half an hour ago. I was in the Centrelink building for all of about half an hour in total. More annoyed I'd paid for parking until 16:00 😂

Is it opened most of the centrelinks  for test or interview? May I know which centrelink had your test?

20 minutes ago, Jonleahy said:

Hi after  citizenship ceremony what does everyone do with their immi account?

How long do you keep it for?

Will it be required for anything else?

Thanks

Jonathan 

I don't think they give you an option to close the account. I still use mine (or did before Covid) to apply for Visas for relatives visiting Australia.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 14:56, Waiting_in_vic said:

Appointment and test pass about half an hour ago. I was in the Centrelink building for all of about half an hour in total. More annoyed I'd paid for parking until 16:00 😂

Congratulations 💐💐. Good to know that tests have resumed in Centrelink. Could you please share which Centrelink??

36 minutes ago, VIC-APPLI said:

Congratulations 💐💐. Good to know that tests have resumed in Centrelink. Could you please share which Centrelink??

I did mine at Centrelink in Bendigo, definitely good to know they’re going again. The lady administering the test told me they’re working extra to clear the backlog, so hopefully things will pick up.

3 hours ago, Jonleahy said:

Hi after  citizenship ceremony what does everyone do with their immi account?

How long do you keep it for?

Will it be required for anything else?

Thanks

Jonathan 

I’ve read elsewhere that you can delete it somehow, or request it’s deleted. You won’t need it ever again hopefully!

All mine has in it is a few visitor visas from years ago, my Skilled Nominated, RRV and citizenship application (plus all the same for my OH). I’ll delete it if I can once it’s all done with, as it won’t serve any purpose any more.

EDIT, this link has a copy of an Aus Gov doc showing exactly how to delete your immiaccount https://vdocuments.mx/immiaccount-how-to-delete-your-immiaccountpdf-immiaccount-how-to-delete.html?page=1

Edited by Waiting_in_vic
  • Like 1