Campervans

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Hello All,

Clyde and I are so excited cos hols are only 3 and half months away. We land in Sydney for 18 days and are going to hire a campervan and tour down to Melb, costal road, blue mountains and wherever takes our fancy within our reach.

If anyone has done similar and has experiences of camp sites, rental moterhomes, advice, must see and other do's and donts we would LOVE to hear from you. We haven't chosen our rental campervan yet either cos the choice is boggeling! So any thoughts are most welcome,

Cheers!

Bonnie:notworthy:

Hello All,

Clyde and I are so excited cos hols are only 3 and half months away. We land in Sydney for 18 days and are going to hire a campervan and tour down to Melb, costal road, blue mountains and wherever takes our fancy within our reach.

If anyone has done similar and has experiences of camp sites, rental moterhomes, advice, must see and other do's and donts we would LOVE to hear from you. We haven't chosen our rental campervan yet either cos the choice is boggeling! So any thoughts are most welcome,

Cheers!

Can't answer your question but if you can fit one (plumpish!) person inyour suitcase please let me know!!!!!:biglaugh: Have a good one! you lucky things!

Hi Guys,

We hired a campervan when we did the Great Ocean Road trip in 2006. We had a small van (suitable for 2 adults and 1 child) which we got from CheapaCampers at Tullamarine (Melbourne). The van was very clean and fully equipped with sleeping bags, towels, cooker, fridge etc but we found that all the campsites we stayed at had big camp kitchens and BBQ's that you could use (often for free!) so we never cooked in the van at all.

It's a great way to see Australia and we met some really nice people at the sites we stayed at (we used Big 4 campsites a lot) and they are very reasonable - the most we paid was about $23 per night. All were very clean, clean bathrooms and loos and in really nice locations so can highly recommend them, particularly the one we stayed at in Ballarat when we went to Sovereign Hill.

I know you can do campervan pick up and drop off in a different city which is handy if you want to travel back from a different airport.

Hope you have a brilliant trip!

Love Gill, Phil and Harry

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

MattCath - cause you can come too - the more the merrier!

Rue 66 - thanks, great info, especially bout the kitchens on the camp sites. Have read about the Big 4 sites and they do sound good. Did you ever stop other than a recognised camp site, like just road side?

Incidentally, am from Weston Favell, Northampton originally! Where abouts are you guys?

B & C x

Guest Pinhead
Hi Guys,

We hired a campervan when we did the Great Ocean Road trip in 2006. We had a small van (suitable for 2 adults and 1 child) which we got from CheapaCampers at Tullamarine (Melbourne). The van was very clean and fully equipped with sleeping bags, towels, cooker, fridge etc but we found that all the campsites we stayed at had big camp kitchens and BBQ's that you could use (often for free!) so we never cooked in the van at all.

It's a great way to see Australia and we met some really nice people at the sites we stayed at (we used Big 4 campsites a lot) and they are very reasonable - the most we paid was about $23 per night. All were very clean, clean bathrooms and loos and in really nice locations so can highly recommend them, particularly the one we stayed at in Ballarat when we went to Sovereign Hill.

I know you can do campervan pick up and drop off in a different city which is handy if you want to travel back from a different airport.

Hope you have a brilliant trip!

Love Gill, Phil and Harry

Rue

How much did you pay for the hire? $100-$125 pd?

We are thinking of doing some travelling in a campervan when we arrive in sydney in Oct so any advice would be great.

Julo x

Guest hazel and dave

We honeymooned in a camper down the west coast in Aug 06 and I have to say some of the best nights we did were on the free council sites. If you have a van that can keep a fridge going over night (warm beer in the evening and off milk for yr cornflakes isn't great) then look into these. You just need to phone the council and get a 'permit', not a piece of paper, they just take your reg to note you have permission to be there, and away you go. There is a book - which i obviously can't remmeber the name of, sorry - that lists all the free campsites. Ask any middle aged Aussie couple with a 4x4 and a an organised looking rig ojn yr first campsite and I bet they will be able to tell you the name, I think it had the name of a couple who spent years travelling adn then noted the best sites.

The free sites are fab because hardly anybody uses them - as well as being free. We spent an evening watching the sun set over the ocean. We woke up in the morning to watch the mist unfurling over the land, rolling into the sea and disappearing as the sun rose over the horizon. It was a total magical experience and we were totally alone. Awesome!

We have been on fancy cruises and all sorts of holidays and we both say that some of the best nights away that we have had have been on those council sites, on our own just marvelling at the best the bush has to offer. Have fun.

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Hi Hazel and Dave,

Thanks for reply - its sounds so lovely and just the kind of memories we are looking to create. Ok, so van with facilites are good idea then. Its difficult to choose cos they all vary and we are not sure what the essential qualities we need will be - fridge looks top, along with WC and shower and defo some air con of sorts!

Guest hazel and dave

DO NOT HAVE A BOG!!!!!!!!!!! We paid the extra for a loo, but the rigmarole for cahnging it was unbelievable, we also didn't use the shower. I think a bush wee is the technical term!!! The 'bathroom' was a fair bit of extra dosh (well it was our honeymoon!) and all we stored in it was our bags for the 3 weeks we were on the road! If you can handle the idea of the 'bush wee' then don't waste your cash on a 'bathroon'. Fridge, aircon and a little cookery type thing for those occasions when a full on BBQ is just too much wil lsee you sorted. Where we looked, the vans without bathrooms were A LOT cheaper and you seemed to get more living space.

It is a magnificent way to really get a feel for the variety of Australia and I hope you have a fab time.

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

OK, very interesting! We thought it would make life easier with on board conviencies! Will reserve judgement then

Guest Bonniebuster

We had a camper this year from Brisbane down as far as Eden then back to Sydney, we got ours from a company named Bartrak which included everything, linen, out door table&chairs etc. We stayed in various types of sites all were very clean and reasonale some of the bush ones with not much in the way of facilities were good. It was great just to find some lovely scenery pull over make a drink or a meal and sit out and watch the world go by. No having to find a cafe or car park, campers are very well catered for with bbq's in most parks. We just loved it!! Enjoy your trip.

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Thanks for reply, will have a look at the company you used. Just out of interest. did you have on board WC? We cant decide!

Guest gary12

Hi

I can't help but my friends are members of this forum, I will email your link maybe they can help. They have just come home from 3 weeks in Oz having hired a camper van in both Perth and Melbourne.

Where are you from in Coventry? We moved from Coundon out near to Southam about 6 yrs ago.

Enjoy your trip.

Michelle

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Thanks Michelle, your friends input would be great!

We live in Radford, been here since December 06. Quite like it here, really nice neighbours - but we wanna grow old in Melbourne!:spinny:

Guest gary12

Small world, I grew up in Radford. Near Jubilee Cres. Melbourne is fab, we are off there in January if things go according to plan. Having spent a couple of weeks out there earlier this year we are just gagging to get back there.

They may take a few days to reply but I am sure they will help if they can.

best wishes

Michelle

Hey there,

We are flying out to Oz in September and have booked a campervan with Travellers Auto Barn - Backpacker car, Campervan, 4WD sale & rental Australia.

We're hiring a van without a bathroom/WC -

1. It's much cheaper.

2. I've heard it's a bit of a hassle cleaning etc and

3. I can't stand the thought of 'smells'...Urgh!

We're picking the van up in Cairns, travelling down east coast then dropping it off in Melbourne. All in all, (including fridge, cooker, linen, table, chairs, full cover insurance) it's costing us under $4000 for 2 months. Can't wait!

Lucia

Guest Pinhead

Some of the campervans only have aircon in the drivers cabins, is it worth investing in a slightly more expensive one to air con in the sleeping quarters at night?

At the caravan parks do they charge you extra for electricity, water etc?

Guest Working to fish
Some of the campervans only have aircon in the drivers cabins, is it worth investing in a slightly more expensive one to air con in the sleeping quarters at night?

At the caravan parks do they charge you extra for electricity, water etc?

Its up to you .You can pitch with electricity for extra cost or pitch with out ,water is free.

eddie

Guest melba
Hello All,

Cheers!

I travelled round the whole of Australia (not literally ALL of it but most of it!) for a year in 2003-2004. We did the south east coast from Sydney & Blue Mountains down to Melbourne, then headed up to Alice Springs & Uluru. Then back down south & west to cover the Nullabor & then Margaret river area, then up the coast to Perth, then up to Broome & Darwin, then accross the top to Cairns & Cape Trib & then back down to Sydney.

We bought a car - Ford Falcon - from Travellers Autobarn in Sydney & then camped for the whole year in a tent, or sometimes sleeping in the back of the car. We sold the knackered car back to them 33,000 km later! We didn't get much back for it but it did the job for a year so can't complain!

We received a really good service & advice from Travellers Autobarn, so I couldn't recommend them highly enough if you are thinking of renting a campervan. I personally think for us it was the best way to see Oz. We stayed at campsites & sometimes free rest areas when money was a bit short- although I think there are less of these in the places you are going, more of them on the west coast. The Big 4 & Top Tourist parks are good & inexpensive so I’d recommend them.

It is a great way of meeting aussies & other people travelling. We were invited to loads of barbies by other people staying at campsites so we felt like we were integrating a bit more than the average backpacker. Aussies are generally really friendly so you will probably get chatting to other people camping who are coming from the opposite direction & can recommend things to do & places to go. Hopefully you will really enjoy yourself, you’ll be able to take things at your own pace, chill out & do exactly what you want when you want....

You would obviously have a bit more luxury than us if you are staying in a campervan, but to be honest we didn't feel like we were slumming it too much as most campsites have camp kitchens you can use & we had an esky for keeping food in & a gas cooker- as well as the open road that's all you need!

Sarah

Guest Bonniebuster

Yes we did and used it most days (well I did) did not take long to empty every few days was handy in the middle of the night. Have a look at at Travel mate web site they have a price comparison page you put in your requirements and dates and it gived you the cheapest camper hire around.

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

Thanks to all for replies and info - all v kind.

Will look into the recommended sites and book a wagon this weekend. We can't wait to get there now!

Bonnie x

Couldn't agree more with what the others have said - don't get one with a bathroom.

As we used to own a house-bus, we were keen to get one with everything so that we could freedom camp for days if we wanted to, but most of these campers just aren't set up for it. The battery that operated the lights, fridge and water heater in ours was only trickle fed while driving, so unless you were driving all day you would go flat after two days.

The first day we got ours we discovered at 5pm, after closing time, that the battery was dead flat when we got it, and although we'd been driving all day nothing worked and the fridge was warm. The only thing that worked was the gas cooker. We rang the complaint number but the complaint was never registered, so when we took it back hoping for a day's refund, they said there was no record and because we hadn't rung the hire company back the next day it was tough luck, basically. So if you have a problem, even if it's resolved you should phone the hire company and let them know and get the name of the person you speak to. We booked into a camping ground that first night and plugged in to get charged up and all was working well next day. After our first night, the water heater stopped working, so we couldn't use the shower and had to boil water on the gas stove for a wash. It became easier to book into a camping ground where we had a powered site and use of all the faciilities, and if we'd taken a smaller camper without a bathroom we would've saved at least the cost of a camp fee each day.

One camping ground we stayed at also gave us a 24 hour wireless internet pass for $10. It's also easier to stop a small camper in a hurry if you spot something interesting. On the other hand, the one place we did stop for a night of freedom camping is the place we'd like to settle in Oz and we wouldn't have found it if we'd stayed in a camping ground, but we saw several campers parked in car parks with toilets etc for the night, so it can be done.

I hope you have fun.

Archived