Opening an australian bank account

Guest Wallace

Guest Wallace

Hey guys. Just wondering what the majority of people do re:opening an australian bank account?

Has anyone opened an account prior to moving to Australia? Or do most people just wait until they are actually out in Australia?

Any information welcome.

Guest Sam&Si

Hiya Wallace,

We opened a current account online with Westpac a couple of weeks ago, was really easy, no difficult questions and our paperwork/account number etc arrived within 10 days.

Guest Pingpongpom
You can open an account before you get to Australia.

This is a link from the CBA bank specifically for people looking to open one before arriving.

http://www.commbank.com.au/movingtoaustralia/

CBA have ATMs everywhere in Oz and I've always found their service to be excellent.

Yep we also opened a Commonwealth Bank account before we went and have found them to be very good..

Tess:cute:

Guest lmeade

Commonwealth bank worked well for us since you can have it done it advance, we transferred some money with them to get the accouns generated and will be using HiFx for the rest since their rate is marginally better. All in all is was a painless process.

Guest jonseywife

We used Westpac.......... Most of the big Aussie banks offer a migrant account you can open from England. You have to activate it asap once you arrive and show your passport/visa etc (the call it 100 point ID check)

I would check on-line first to see if there are any branches of the particular bank your thinking of, in the area you are heading for first.

Good luck

Sally-ann

Guest interested16

Thought i would get my little bit in.I opened an ANZ account before i came out here and was ready to use when i arrived and i also transferred into in every now and again from UK.

Hope this helps

ANZ Personal homepage

Guest hazel and dave

Hi,

Just like most people I opened an account with Commonwealth. Sent the forms off last monday and received a phone call last tuesday confirming the account was set up, got the paperwork wednesday morning - how's that for efficient? I intend to shop around for a more suitable account once I'm settled, but they were very helpful and they will transfer your cash over at pretty reasonable rates too from what I can gather.

Guest melba
Thought i would get my little bit in.I opened an ANZ account before i came out here and was ready to use when i arrived and i also transferred into in every now and again from UK.

Hope this helps

ANZ Personal homepage

I hope this isn't a REALLY stupid question :wacko:, but do you need an Australian address to open an account before you go, or can you use your UK one?

I had an ANZ account when I was in Oz on a working holiday visa & would like one with them again. Even easier if I can open it before we get there!

Guest melba
No you can open one with a UK address no problem.

Thanks, just had a look.

Link for anyone else who's interested

Preparing to move from the UK

It is quite easy to open one when you're over there but I think I'll do it now- it's one less thing to worry about!

Guest Oxfordlad

looking through the posts about setting up accounts in Oz before a move it seams most accounts can only be set up about 2-3 months before you move out there.

Is there a way of opening an account for a longer term?? Or can you open one then fly over for a recci and confirm your details then fly home????

Guest Sam&Si
looking through the posts about setting up accounts in Oz before a move it seams most accounts can only be set up about 2-3 months before you move out there.

Is there a way of opening an account for a longer term?? Or can you open one then fly over for a recci and confirm your details then fly home????

We had no problem opening our current account well before we are due to leave. But, when I enquired with Westpac about their migrant savings account where your money can stay in sterling until the exchange rate improves and you want to turn it into $ - they said we had to validate it within 90 days of opening it so we're holding off on that at the moment - and trying to find the best account - any tips Pinhead?

Guest hazel and dave

Hi,

Commonwealth said we could have the London part of the account active for 2 years before we took anything any further. That bit wasn't entirely relevant to us, but I'm pretty certin that was the deal.

Archived