491 visa with 85 points, is this enough?

Jonny Curran

Hi all

I am a qualified Social Worker, 6 years post-qualified experience in front line Child Protection and am now a Senior Social Worker.

Does anyone have any idea how many points invites are occurring for the 491 visa? 

We are awaiting for my skills assessment from the AASW to come through, but once that is in Skills Select site says we have 85 points. will this be enough for a 491 invite for the state of Queensland?

Any Advice would be most welcome :)

Thanks 

I suppose I should rephrase . Is social workers in demand enough with 85 points on a 491 visa?

I’m a bit worried as I saw January’s points offers in 189/190 was beginning on 90 points ?

i suppose my real question. Is 85 points enough for 491 or should we give up ? I believe there is high demand in QL for social workers and we want to live in Cairns up north of QL, 

1 hour ago, Jonny Curran said:

Thanks 

I suppose I should rephrase . Is social workers in demand enough with 85 points on a 491 visa?

I’m a bit worried as I saw January’s points offers in 189/190 was beginning on 90 points ?

i suppose my real question. Is 85 points enough for 491 or should we give up ? I believe there is high demand in QL for social workers and we want to live in Cairns up north of QL, 

Have you done the English test?

Thanks 

Thanks 

The 189 is a different ball game. Your occupation is on QLD’s 491 list, so if you have all the paperwork you should submit the EOI. 

• Like 1

The 189 invitation point requirements are completely irrelevant to the 190 and 491.

190 and 491 invites are dictated by the individual States, which each have their own requirements.

It may be enough, depending on the sponsoring State. As the State requirements change all the time and the number of people in the queue changes, its impossible to know if a certain amount of points for a particular occupation will be enough at any point in time.

You need to bear in mind that you are dealing with constantly shifting targets.

Thanks all - so the advice is the 491 visa is a completely different ball game to the 189 so no need to freak out when I see what points are needed for the 189 invites every month 

hey Jem are you in the U.K. doing social work ? I really want out of here and if I’m going to continue doing this job might as well do it somewhere with better weather and quality of life  

im still waiting for my skills assessment from the AASW? You ? 

ive been waiting 5 weeks tomorrow since they confirmed they have all my required paperwork , I’ve read some stories on this site that it can take 7-9 months :/ so we will finalise our visa application at Xmas after the medicals 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jonny, 

how long did it take you to have the migration and skilled employment  assessment (assuming you did both for points) by  the  AASW and was this the first thing you did in the whole process?

i thought the 189 visa was the best one but am now realising I might need to apply for a sponsored temporary visa then apply later for the permanent one.  Not sure how this affects my husband and little boy coming too and access to health and education.  Need proper migration advice from someone reputable and Mara registered if anyone can recommend any?

Hope things go well for you 

Zoe