How long does it take to rent once you land as a pom

.hi guys 

I will be arriving in oz early June time on a student visa and wondered how long it would take me to secure a place of rent as I will be going for a house as family will be joint me. 

so basically once i have found one I like how long does the paper work take before you get keys. As don’t want to be paying for hotels for months. 

also will being on a student visa effect my chances even though I 30 not a 18 yr old student lol .

any advice would be great I would be looking for a 5 bedroom also around the Gold Coast area if that helps atall with explaining my situation.

cheers guys 

I would allow three or four weeks to find a place to rent.  

However, I'm very worried that you're coming on a student visa with a family.  What kind of course are  you planning to study?  You are aware that you'll be going home at the end of the course, as there's no clear pathway to get an employer-sponsored or PR visa at the end?

4 hours ago, El the Plasterer said:

.hi guys 

I will be arriving in oz early June time on a student visa and wondered how long it would take me to secure a place of rent as I will be going for a house as family will be joint me. 

so basically once i have found one I like how long does the paper work take before you get keys. As don’t want to be paying for hotels for months. 

also will being on a student visa effect my chances even though I 30 not a 18 yr old student lol .

any advice would be great I would be looking for a 5 bedroom also around the Gold Coast area if that helps atall with explaining my situation.

cheers guys 

Most people migrating, tend to get a holiday rental initially for about 4 weeks, which is plenty of time to secure a rental although this can depend upon availability especially in a popular areas (e.g. popular school catchment areas).  They usually go through pretty quickly if all the checks are ok.  One of the Dr's at work asked me to be a reference, the leasing agent rang me and basically wanted to confirm that they were in employment (and could pay the rent) and were of good character.  The visa per se won't be a problem, but the restrictions of only being allowed to work 20 hours a week, may make you appear a less attractive option if you're in competition with someone who works full time

30 minutes ago, El the Plasterer said:

regarding pathway after 2yr course I would be taking work ready program 1yr-1 1/2yr then applying for the new 491 a 5 yr provisional with potential for PR after 3yr. 
long road ahead I’m sure it’s the right choice 

Sounds like you've done your homework.   As long as you're aware of the pitfalls.   

•  For the two years of your course, you and your partner can work for only 20 hours a week (except during the holidays). 
  • There's no guarantee the Work Ready program will still be available in 2 years' time, 
  • There's a possibility your occupation won't be on the medium to long-term lists in 3 years' time. You may have noticed they're cutting the list down every year.

It's important to understand that Australia isn't crying out for immigrants any more. In fact, many Australians have the same attitude to migrants as Brits do - "they're taking our jobs".  It's an ill-informed attitude, but governments are sensitive to public opinion.  Because of that, they're steadily making it more and more difficult for migrants every year.  That's why I say it's risky to plan on the basis of programs and visas still being available in 2 or 3 years' time.