Married in UK but name change in QLD

Beckb

Hi all,

My partner and I have been in QLD for 3 years now. We went back to the UK (both British citizens) nearly 3 weeks ago to get married and are now back in Oz. I want to change my name with everything in Oz but not my passport just yet (honeymoon booked in September in maiden name as only just got new passport), does anyone know if this will be possible? Worried thateverything will be in my married name apart from my passport and visa? Is this okay? Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Beckb said:

Hi all,

My partner and I have been in QLD for 3 years now. We went back to the UK (both British citizens) nearly 3 weeks ago to get married and are now back in Oz. I want to change my name with everything in Oz but not my passport just yet (honeymoon booked in September in maiden name as only just got new passport), does anyone know if this will be possible? Worried thateverything will be in my married name apart from my passport and visa? Is this okay? Thanks in advance!

•  

Just apply online for a new British passport with a name change - they will need a copy of your marriage certificate.

• Thanks 1

It's not an issue.  As long as the name on your visa matches the name on your passport, the name you use elsewhere (bank accounts, email, etc.) doesn't matter.  I didn't change my name in Australia until I took citizenship since it wasn't worth the effort and cost to get a new passport and then update immigration.  The only difficulty is remembering to book travel in your maiden name.

9 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

It's not an issue.  As long as the name on your visa matches the name on your passport, the name you use elsewhere (bank accounts, email, etc.) doesn't matter.  I didn't change my name in Australia until I took citizenship since it wasn't worth the effort and cost to get a new passport and then update immigration.  The only difficulty is remembering to book travel in your maiden name.

Thanks very much MaggieMay24, it’s good to have what I was thinking reaffirmed!