Visa qualifications

Red farang

Hi guys, this is the first time posting, my partner and i (not married) are thinking of moving to australia, i am a fully qualified joiner and carpenter but i don’t work in this sector any more, i am now a care for people with autism, can i put down i am a joiner but when i get to oz i want to work in the care sector, would this go against me?

40 minutes ago, Red farang said:

Hi guys, this is the first time posting, my partner and i (not married) are thinking of moving to australia, i am a fully qualified joiner and carpenter but i don’t work in this sector any more, i am now a care for people with autism, can i put down i am a joiner but when i get to oz i want to work in the care sector, would this go against me?

Once you are in AUS you can work at whatever job you wanted to.

Your issue will be in the skills assessment and getting the required amount of valid experience for your carpentry career (depending on how long you've been a carer and not a carpenter).

For instance for many careers to get full overseas career experience you need 8 years evidence in the previous 10 years. If you've been a carer for 2.5 years (for example) you can now no longer get full points for your career assessment.

You may also be asked for further information about why you've abandoned your career (but still want to emigrate to work in that career) - you will need answer to this question in case it arises.

Also do some research into what is required to do your new role in AUS, a lot of roles in the medical arena (which you would be on the periphery of) require certification and clearance that would normally be done as part of the immigration process and may take many years to obtain retrospectively once in AUS

4 minutes ago, Red farang said:

Thank you for the reply, we are just starting out, do you know if we are better applying for jobs looking for sponsorship or just apply for visa and then find work?

There are employer sponsored visas but they are only for 2 to 4 years, then you go home again.  If you're looking for a permanent visa then you need to get the visa then find work. 

If you are under 30, you could just get a Working Holiday Visa and come over for a year to try it out.  

1 hour ago, Red farang said:

But also i have family in oz also, grandma, aunty and uncle and cousins?

Nowadays the having Australian family is effectively irrelevant. It can add family sponsor points but you'd get the same for state sponsorship anyway.

The days of a simple visa being granted just because you had a second cousin in Australia are long gone (now even having your parents living there isn't enough to make a meaningful difference)

• 6 months later...