register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Roseinmelb

Child care subsidy on tss

Hello!

I have an option to move to Melbourne on a tss medium term visa. I have two kids, 5 and 3. I'm trying to work out costs for these two in wrap around care for school and child care costs. I've found something called childcare subsidy that looks like it would help a lot (like 30 hours free and tax free childcare does in the uk) but not sure if I or my husband would be eligible for it. Can anyone help clarify for me? 

Thanks so much!

Rose

When you are on a TSS visa, you are a visitor not a resident and therefore not eligible for any government benefits. I'm pretty sure the childcare subsidy would come under that definition.

Unfortunately, child care in Australia is very expensive.  

Are you coming for an adventure or are you hoping for PR eventually?  Just be aware that atlhough they talk about a "pathway to PR" after the TSS, it's far from guaranteed and becoming harder every year.    If you're on a TSS, don't sell your home in the UK as there's a high likelihood you'll be heading home after the 4 years are up.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I’ve looked into this a fair bit because they changed the rules recently which means even if you have a PR visa you still can’t access a lot of the government benefits- there’s now a 2-4 year waiting period. 
On a temporary visa you are not eligible for any of these benefits. The only temporary visas that are considered eligible are partner provisional and temporary protection visas.  
It would be wise to consider the cost of this move, bearing in mind the uncertainty and difficulties many have had with the TSS visas. As a single or couple it can be a good opportunity and an adventure, but as a family the dynamic is very different. 
I’m not saying it won’t work out, my husband and I came out on a TSS visa and it’s been fabulous. I also don’t know the specifics of your situation, but just do your due diligence beforehand and as Marissa says, accept there’s a good chance you’ll be returning to the UK at the end of it, especially the way immigration has tightened up of late. 

Best of luck

• Like 1

Due to escalating bills and budgetary cuts in the NHS, unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel has had to be switched off.

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Thank you everyone! This is what my googling seemed to be saying but it's so hard to tell with all the new terminology to get used to! I was hoping you would tell me the tss was a special visa type that would get it!! X