Help on Independent schools

carlymac

Hi everyone

Sorry I keep asking so many questions about schools, do you have to be in the catchment area for your child to attend a independent school? I know people have said you do with state? Also does anyone have recommendations for any independent primary schools? I want my children to go to a non denomination school. Any help is really appreciated....:wubclub:

Hi, we are in Brisbane and all of our 3 children go to a catholic primary school, although my children were not required to be catholic, they have now since completed the sacramental programme. I know you asked about non denominational schools but we found the private catholic schools tended to be cheaper. At the mo we pay $4800 for all 3 in primary, my eldest has got into 2 private colleges for Jan (need to apply early-in year 5/6). The one non catholic is $5300 per year and the other catholic is $3500 per year. My eldest was in year 7 in UK and is in y7 here in Oz, but we had to apply late for colleges as we only arrived in Late Dec. I am a supply teacher and l have been to quite a few schools now and l have decided a private primary and college is best for my children. My suggestion would be to google search the area you want to live in and then go onto the website for the school and read up. We applied in UK and got the kids places but we took a risk on the school and all of our children seem to be happy. Hope this helps Smith Tribe

A lot of independent schools are church schools and most are interdenominational apart from the catholic schools which take non catholic students only if there are places available once all catholics have been given places.

The christian schools and catholic schools tend to have lower fees.

The other private schools fees are pricey here in Victoria and I guess it would be the same everywhere in Australia.

Most good private schools have waiting lists and the top schools or considered top schools here in Melbourne, people put their names down when the baby is born or before if they are allowed.

My children went to a multi denomination christian school and I had their names down for about 4 years before my first one went to high school.

So to answer your question they are not zoned but waiting lists affect availability of places.

:smile:

No you dont have to live in a catchment area - as the others have said most independent schools are faith based of some kind although there are some pedagogy based ones like Steiner and Montessori but not so many of them. By far the most are systemic Catholic schools with lower fees than the independent, usually Anglican ones, which can charge like wounded bulls.

Thanks everyone for your response. Just a couple more questions for you guys. How much time do they spend on religion? do they have lessons dedicated to it? Do they learn about all the different religions aswell?

Thanks again,

Archived