Skills assessment electrician

Pinklady

Have been popping In and out this forum for a while regarding skills assessment for myself as a early years teacher wanting to know the process for electrician as we are now looking to proceed with this seriously . Any electricians give me heads up on what’s involved etc I would be really grateful 

Hi I’m an electrician now living in Adelaide. 
firstly you will need to get hold of a company that can provide a Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). Our migrant agency put us in touch with Vetassess who are a Melbourne based company. At first you will be asked to provide evidence of that skill which will include letters from employers, letters from college to prove attendance, certificates of qualifications, etc for recognition of prior learning. It ends up being a sizeable folder. You have also got to have been working in the industry for the last 5 years. Once you send that off they will assess it and if you pass that part you will be asked to carry out a practical exam and theory exam. Once you have passed that you will then receive the OTSR. 
This allows you to transfer your skills over in Australia where you have to complete a regs course on the Australian standards which includes practical and theory exam which is generally a 3 week course. you will also need to document at least 6 months work in the electrical industry while you are here to then qualify for a Electrical license. 
whilst you are completing all this you will be on a restricted license so you can only be classed as a Trades assistant while you are sorting that out. 

hope that helps a little 

7 hours ago, Curly said:

Hi I’m an electrician now living in Adelaide. 
firstly you will need to get hold of a company that can provide a Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). Our migrant agency put us in touch with Vetassess who are a Melbourne based company. At first you will be asked to provide evidence of that skill which will include letters from employers, letters from college to prove attendance, certificates of qualifications, etc for recognition of prior learning. It ends up being a sizeable folder. You have also got to have been working in the industry for the last 5 years. Once you send that off they will assess it and if you pass that part you will be asked to carry out a practical exam and theory exam. Once you have passed that you will then receive the OTSR. 
This allows you to transfer your skills over in Australia where you have to complete a regs course on the Australian standards which includes practical and theory exam which is generally a 3 week course. you will also need to document at least 6 months work in the electrical industry while you are here to then qualify for a Electrical license. 
whilst you are completing all this you will be on a restricted license so you can only be classed as a Trades assistant while you are sorting that out. 

hope that helps a little 

Thanks for this, this really helps so have got an agent in mind and have all qualifications etc have you found work easy to come by ? 

Hi

Yeah I have always found work and now I have a full license it’s much easier. It’s hard at first as you are a trades assistant and people are generally after qualified sparkies. 

The best thing to do is go round the companies and explain situation face to face. My old company was quite happy to take me on when they realise they can have an electrician doing the work but paying them as a TA 😂