482 sponsored with a view to pr?

A&L

Hi

Another question I'm afraid....my partner has been offered a full time position in perth and they are prepared to sponser him, however they need him asap so want him go out on a 482 visa and then after 6 months they have said they will start process of 186  as after this time his age will stop us getting any visa! 

I'm not sure this is actually possible though...I'm reading conflicting things.

Any thoughts?

If you go on a temp visa, you should assume that is all you will have. Even if at the moment the company are happy to look at PR sponsorship, a lot can change or simply not happen. For example, I have worked with big companies in Perth who suddenly without warning announced a ban on any sponsorship. I was lucky with the first as my 186 had just been lodged days before. 

Also, the rules change and even if they don't and the company wants to, the 186 has a very high refusal rate by the department. So, if you go, assume you are going back to your home country at the end of the visa. 

42 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

If you go on a temp visa, you should assume that is all you will have. Even if at the moment the company are happy to look at PR sponsorship, a lot can change or simply not happen. For example, I have worked with big companies in Perth who suddenly without warning announced a ban on any sponsorship. I was lucky with the first as my 186 had just been lodged days before. 

Also, the rules change and even if they don't and the company wants to, the 186 has a very high refusal rate by the department. So, if you go, assume you are going back to your home country at the end of the visa. 

Thanks for the reply its appreciated.

15 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Yes, it's possible for the 482 and 186 (Direct entry) visas to be lodged at the same time or immediately one after the other.

Thank you, I'm so confused the immi site says you have to work for employer for 3 years once you've got a 482 Visa which would preclude us from gaining pr as he will be 47 by then...and that's if they dont change if all again in the mean time...

On 11/10/2019 at 23:43, A&L said:

Hi

Another question I'm afraid....my partner has been offered a full time position in perth and they are prepared to sponser him, however they need him asap so want him go out on a 482 visa and then after 6 months they have said they will start process of 186  as after this time his age will stop us getting any visa! 

I'm not sure this is actually possible though...I'm reading conflicting things.

Any thoughts?

My recommendation:

1) Obtain independent advice regarding the eligibility for PR through the 186;

2) Make sure it is in the contract that they will sponsor for PR 186 within a certain time frame. Managers and HR people who made the original promise can change roles.

7 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

My recommendation:

1) Obtain independent advice regarding the eligibility for PR through the 186;

2) Make sure it is in the contract that they will sponsor for PR 186 within a certain time frame. Managers and HR people who made the original promise can change roles.

Thanks for replying I think they are going to engage their agent now hes accepted so got that covered hopefully but very good idea re the contract thank you.

On 13/10/2019 at 04:15, A&L said:

Thank you, I'm so confused the immi site says you have to work for employer for 3 years once you've got a 482 Visa which would preclude us from gaining pr as he will be 47 by then...and that's if they dont change if all again in the mean time...

Under the transition stream, the applicant must have worked for 3 years on the 482, but the direct entry stream doesn't require any previous time on a 482.

As Raul has said, it would be a good idea to speak with a registered migration agent, especially given the limited time frame to get everything sorted for a PR visa.

22 minutes ago, A&L said:

Thanks for replying I think they are going to engage their agent now hes accepted so got that covered hopefully but very good idea re the contract thank you.

I would still recommend that you obtain independent advice re qualifying for the subclass 186 under the Direct Entry pathway.

You would not want to transfer your life to Australia only to find out you cannot qualify within the age limit constraints.