Confused about new visas

Michael P

Hi,

I arrived in Australia on a 457 visa in November 2016 working as 263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer and have been full time employed since in rural Australia (NSW).

Late last year my sponsoring company changed my manager, and the new one was really terrible. Micromanagement at it's worst, and nowhere near appealing or acceptable to someone like me with 25 years of experience in IT. Told me that he was not likely to agree to PR sponsorship as well, so obviously I started looking around. When I found a new employer and resigned, he suddenly wanted to sponsor me anyway?? Anyway, I don't work that way, so I stuck to the resignation and in June this year, I finally changed employer and my 457 visa was transferred to them. No problems there.

So here's my problem: With the new 191/494 visa's, I have gotten a bit confused.

Knowing that I have to work 2 years for the same employer on my 457 to apply for ENS/RSMS (186/187) - I assume this is still the case? - I know that changing my employer messed up my chance of getting 186/187 PR within this 457 Visa validity period (as I can effectively only work 16 months with my new employer before it expires).

I was planning to get a new 4 year 482 TRS visa before my current 457 expires. Work 3 years on that, and then make the PR transition. But if I understand the new 494 correctly, it is now more advantageous for my new employer to sponsor me on that, and then go for the new 191 after 3 years. Correct?

Why would anyone go for the 4-year 482 over the 5-year 494?

Will the 494 excempt me from paying school fees (currently paying $16,000/year for public school)?

Would there perhaps be a "grandfathering" built into the 191 so I could go for that directly, as I've been here 3 years in November?

Hope you can help me out here - I am looking for the fastest route to PR given my situation.

Thanks heaps, Michael

Edited by Michael P

15 hours ago, Michael P said:

Hi,

I arrived in Australia on a 457 visa in November 2016 working as 263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer and have been full time employed since in rural Australia (NSW).

Late last year my sponsoring company changed my manager, and the new one was really terrible. Micromanagement at it's worst, and nowhere near appealing or acceptable to someone like me with 25 years of experience in IT. Told me that he was not likely to agree to PR sponsorship as well, so obviously I started looking around. When I found a new employer and resigned, he suddenly wanted to sponsor me anyway?? Anyway, I don't work that way, so I stuck to the resignation and in June this year, I finally changed employer and my 457 visa was transferred to them. No problems there.

So here's my problem: With the new 191/494 visa's, I have gotten a bit confused.

Knowing that I have to work 2 years for the same employer on my 457 to apply for ENS/RSMS (186/187) - I assume this is still the case? - I know that changing my employer messed up my chance of getting 186/187 PR within this 457 Visa validity period (as I can effectively only work 16 months with my new employer before it expires).

I was planning to get a new 4 year 482 TRS visa before my current 457 expires. Work 3 years on that, and then make the PR transition. But if I understand the new 494 correctly, it is now more advantageous for my new employer to sponsor me on that, and then go for the new 191 after 3 years. Correct?

Why would anyone go for the 4-year 482 over the 5-year 494?

Will the 494 excempt me from paying school fees (currently paying $16,000/year for public school)?

Would there perhaps be a "grandfathering" built into the 191 so I could go for that directly, as I've been here 3 years in November?

Hope you can help me out here - I am looking for the fastest route to PR given my situation.

Thanks heaps, Michael

The intricacies of the new visas and how they will correlated with existing visas are not yet fully known. I believe it will take some time for official Policy to be fully formed in this regard.

15 hours ago, Michael P said:

I was planning to get a new 4 year 482 TRS visa before my current 457 expires. Work 3 years on that, and then make the PR transition.

If current grandfathering arrangements apply (which they likely do based on your dates) the above is not correct and you would qualify with your new employer much sooner.