Resident Return Visa

Natalie123

Hi, 

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, I have tried to look....  

I'm English and my husband is Australian, we lived in Oz for 2 years and I was on a 801 Visa during 2012-2013 we came back to the UK as I was pregnant and wanted to spend some time back home, fast forward 6 years and 3 children we now want to head back to Australia permanently next year.... how do I go about this as the 801 visa expired July 2017? Can I get a resident return visa? Or do I have to submit a new spouse visa? We have visited Australia numerous times in the last 5 years for a holiday, I'm not sure if that activates anything of my absence?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

Natalie 

This has indeed been asked many a time. In brief, yes you can apply for an RRV, you need to show you have substantial ties to Australia. Having an Aussie citizen family is a very good start with this. Visiting regularly will also have helped and resets your absence period. 

You will need to get (if you haven’t already) Aussie passports for the kids. 

6 hours ago, Natalie123 said:

Thank you for your quick reply thats really helpful, how does the visa work is it just for 1 year once you enter then what happens? Do you keep applying for it each year for 4-5 years and then apply for citizenship? 

Once you're in Australia, you can come and go as often as you like during that first year of the RRV.   Once the RRV expires, you'll need to apply for another RRV before you can go overseas again - but if you weren't planning to go overseas, you could go on living in Australia as long as you liked!   The RRV just allows you to leave and re-enter

• Like 1