South Pacific Cruise ffom Sydeny - Is it considered time out of Australia?

Anks

Hi All,

My mum is currently in Australia on tourist visa 600 with 8558 condition which lets her stay 12 months in Australia in 18 months period. From my understanding that if shes goes out of the country during the 12 months period she can stay those number of days more in Aus. E.g. if she arrived in Australia on 1st May 2019 she should leave Aus on or before 30th April 2020. Now if we plan a cruise for 10 days to the south pacific will she be able to stay in Aus until 10th May 2020? Is it how this works? And if the south pacific cruise which is in the international waters considered her time out of Australia?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would think after the first sea day you would be outside Australian waters and so you would probably deduct 2 days to clear. Fiji, Vanuatu, Noumea would all be outside,assuming you are heading that way rather than via PNG and up the coast of Australia. Probably worth checking though because you wouldn’t want to be in breach of the visa conditions.

9 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I would think after the first sea day you would be outside Australian waters and so you would probably deduct 2 days to clear. Fiji, Vanuatu, Noumea would all be outside,assuming you are heading that way rather than via PNG and up the coast of Australia. Probably worth checking though because you wouldn’t want to be in breach of the visa conditions.

Ii thought it depended whether you get off the boat or not.

16 hours ago, paulhand said:

Be very careful with this. Generally, cruises that start and end in Australia, and are less than 30 days, do not count as having left the country. This catches a lot of people. 

Thats correct. I got some useful info from another post

22 hours ago, Anks said:

Hi All,

This might not be related to this forum however just want to know if anyone knows anything about cruises outside of Australia (Sydney to South pacific).

My mum is currently in Australia on tourist visa 600 with 8558 condition which lets her stay 12 months in Australia in 18 months period. From my understanding if shes goes out of the country during the 12 months period she can stay those number of days more in Aus. E.g. if she arrived in Australia on 1st May 2019 she should leave Aus on or before 30th April 2020. Now if we plan a cruise for 10 days to the south pacific will she be able to stay in Aus until 10th May 2020? Is it how this works? And if the south pacific cruise which is in the international waters considered her time out of Australia?

Any help would be appreciated.

https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/form/immi-faqs/i-am-going-on-a-cruise-do-i-need-a-visa

Best regards.