Using family car for UK visit

Wonderingaloud

We are heading to the UK for a holiday and my brother has a spare car he is happy for us to use while we are there. Problem is, the insurance company are saying I would need to be added as a named driver and take out a whole new policy just for me which is going to cost a fortune (apparently). 

I know it’s different in Aus in that you insure the car not so much the people driving it (when mother in law came over our insurance didn’t care she would drive it). Is it really this difficult in UK- seems a shame to hire a car when there’s one spare we can use. 

Anyone had experience of this?

33 minutes ago, Wonderingaloud said:

We are heading to the UK for a holiday and my brother has a spare car he is happy for us to use while we are there. Problem is, the insurance company are saying I would need to be added as a named driver and take out a whole new policy just for me which is going to cost a fortune (apparently). 

I know it’s different in Aus in that you insure the car not so much the people driving it (when mother in law came over our insurance didn’t care she would drive it). Is it really this difficult in UK- seems a shame to hire a car when there’s one spare we can use. 

Anyone had experience of this?

I don’t really understand why adding a named driver should “cost a fortune” unless the named driver has convictions etc.  Whatever the cost it must be a great deal less than hiring a car bearing in mind you will be paying insurance as part of the cost.

It was going to cost 200 pounds to add us on to the OH’s aunts little runaround for our two week holiday.
Absolutely ridiculous.
They said it was because we weren’t currently using a U.K. driving licence.
No convictions, no prior claims, both had licenses at least 20 years.