Meetup

Red Rose

I've been a member for ages but I've found it pretty disappointing.  The problem is that anyone who wants to create a group has to pay a monthly fee to Meetup,  I realise that has to happen, because Meetup isn't running the site out of the goodness of its heart, but it means that all the groups are commercial in nature, i.e. the person running it hopes to make money from it.

For instance,  I joined to find groups interested in dancing and I've found most of the "groups" are actually just dance teachers advertising classes.   Then I wanted to revive my Spanish language for a trip to Spain so I looked for Spanish language meetups, and found most of them were language schools offering classes.   

There are some groups which are more like social clubs, where they arrange social events, but they seem to be mainly for younger people. 

• Like 1

I/we joined one, a local dining club but with over 150 members most restaurant visits are limited to 20 and by the time they are posted there is already a reserve list... 

However, that said, we are a member of the British and Irish group and joining them for a "Christmas in July" event in a few weeks.

Like anything it is what you make it - anyone could start their own if they are confident that they could maintain it.

Hi Red rose I am a member of a kayak canoeing group on meet up.It cost me nothing to join they organise different trips for all abilities group sizes are limited .I haven't been for a paddle for while but they are a friendly group of people.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not the angle that you are looking at it from, but I've been on Meetup in the UK for professional purposes for a few years, so I am a member of the groups related to my profession that have monthly get-togethers and guest speakers etc. Certainly worthwhile from that angle.

I have already transferred my associations over to the equivalents down under, and would like to think it will at least be a start networking from that perspective.

• Like 2