You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Anyone every tried the meetup app?

If yes, What did you make it? 

Did you find it a useful way of meeting people? 

I've been a member for ages but I've found it pretty disappointing.  The problem is that anyone who wants to create a group has to pay a monthly fee to Meetup,  I realise that has to happen, because Meetup isn't running the site out of the goodness of its heart, but it means that all the groups are commercial in nature, i.e. the person running it hopes to make money from it.

For instance,  I joined to find groups interested in dancing and I've found most of the "groups" are actually just dance teachers advertising classes.   Then I wanted to revive my Spanish language for a trip to Spain so I looked for Spanish language meetups, and found most of them were language schools offering classes.   

There are some groups which are more like social clubs, where they arrange social events, but they seem to be mainly for younger people. 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I/we joined one, a local dining club but with over 150 members most restaurant visits are limited to 20 and by the time they are posted there is already a reserve list... 

However, that said, we are a member of the British and Irish group and joining them for a "Christmas in July" event in a few weeks.

Like anything it is what you make it - anyone could start their own if they are confident that they could maintain it.

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Hi Red rose I am a member of a kayak canoeing group on meet up.It cost me nothing to join they organise different trips for all abilities group sizes are limited .I haven't been for a paddle for while but they are a friendly group of people.

20 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

Like anything it is what you make it - anyone could start their own if they are confident that they could maintain it....

...and are prepared to pay the US$9.99 per month fee

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, philgd said:

Hi Red rose I am a member of a kayak canoeing group on meet up.It cost me nothing to join

Groups are always free to join, I think that’s a condition of the website. What happens after that varies

The group I joined southeast kayakers used to just ask for a dollar when you went to meet up for a paddle to help cover stationary admin costs.I don't know about other groups and how they work.