TRansferring Money to Europe

Tommy Tucker

Don't use one of the big banks as they all charge ridiculous fees.

I used Moneycorp.  If you join via PomsinOz there are no fees.   

You may get a slightly better exchange rate elsewhere but I found Moneycorp easy to use. I particularly liked being able to talk to a real person (one who actually does the job, not just a call centre operator) if I got stuck.    Their security measures seem pretty good.

• Like 1

Register with a few. Check on the day. Sometimes I pay a fee and get more money than if I don’t, so fee free isn’t always the best deal. I use OFX and TransferWise, Moneycorp are also fine.  They are all safe. You can also set a forward order or fix a rate if you are not in a rush. Don’t rush to close your Aus bank accounts though, no reason not to keep them open to pay in super etc down the line.

If you don’t have a uk bank account you will find it difficult to open one unless you have proof of address in uk. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve also used Moneycorp recently and found it to be a good service. Speaking to someone rather than doing it online is reassuring considering the large sums being transferred. I was even able to negotiate the rate slightly upwards by quoting a competitors rate [emoji3]