Citizenship questions

Indianinoz

Hello,

Say a couple was granted PR visa on 15th October 2015. They first came to Australia on 1st Jan 2016. They have lived in Australia ever since. They have had a few trips outside Australia to their home country. The total period of these holiday trips is about 4 months, approximately 1 month every year.

a) When can they apply for citizenship? Is it 4 years from date of grant of visa i.e. 15th Oct 2019 or 4 years from date of first visit to Australia, i.e. 1st Jan 2020?

b) Are there any exemptions based on which the person can apply sooner than 4 years? Say a health condition?

c) Once citizenship is applied but before it is granted, are the couple allowed to travel outside Australia for a lengthy period say 12-18 months? Will citizenship be delayed or denied on these grounds? Reason of travel could be to set up a back office for an Australian company. The Australian company will pay them salary/consulting fee during this period. I'm getting different opinions from the articles/forum posts which I've read for this question. Someone says once citizenship is applied, place of stay doesn't matter as long as I can come to Australia for the English test and the ceremony. Somewhere it was mentioned that if I'm overseas, my case wouldn't be processed at all. What is the deal?

4 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Hello,

Say a couple was granted PR visa on 15th October 2015. They first came to Australia on 1st Jan 2016. They have lived in Australia ever since. They have had a few trips outside Australia to their home country. The total period of these holiday trips is about 4 months, approximately 1 month every year.

a) When can they apply for citizenship? Is it 4 years from date of grant of visa i.e. 15th Oct 2019 or 4 years from date of first visit to Australia, i.e. 1st Jan 2020?

b) Are there any exemptions based on which the person can apply sooner than 4 years? Say a health condition?

c) Once citizenship is applied but before it is granted, are the couple allowed to travel outside Australia for a lengthy period say 12-18 months? Will citizenship be delayed or denied on these grounds? Reason of travel could be to set up a back office for an Australian company. The Australian company will pay them salary/consulting fee during this period. I'm getting different opinions from the articles/forum posts which I've read for this question. Someone says once citizenship is applied, place of stay doesn't matter as long as I can come to Australia for the English test and the ceremony. Somewhere it was mentioned that if I'm overseas, my case wouldn't be processed at all. What is the deal?

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator

• Thanks 1