DeFacto

MeganB

Hi all!

Has anyone gone defacto on their partners visas? 

He is already over there so I’ll be going over on working holiday then applying for defacto once we can show proof of being in a relationship

Also, can anyone advise on the job front? My partners on a skilled visa so he found it easy to get a job and I’m quite worried about it. I have 5 years office experience and I’d be hoping to do the same type of work ideally. Has anyone struggled to get work? 

Any help or advise is really appreciated!! 

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, MeganB said:

Hi all!

Has anyone gone defacto on their partners visas? 

He is already over there so I’ll be going over on working holiday then applying for defacto once we can show proof of being in a relationship

Also, can anyone advise on the job front? My partners on a skilled visa so he found it easy to get a job and I’m quite worried about it. I have 5 years office experience and I’d be hoping to do the same type of work ideally. Has anyone struggled to get work? 

Any help or advise is really appreciated!! 

Thank you! 

when you say "defacto on their partners visa" what visa does your partner actually hold?

2 hours ago, MeganB said:

At the moment he is on a 4 year skilled visa I could be wrong but I think a 457... he will be applying for PR once he is eligible to do so

Hi,

Lots of people have been added to their partners visa.  You will not be given a defato/partner visa but added to your partners temporary 457 visa - this will expire when your partners visa does.

It's difficult to say how easy you will get work - certainly some employers may not want to give a substantive full time position to someone on a temporary visa, but there are a lot of casual/fixed term contracts.  it might be worth signing up with an agency.

He is on a 482 visa he is already over there at the moment and I will be joining in July.

I have emailed a few agencies with no luck but I’m hoping it’s down to the fact I’m not in the country. 

I hear a lot of stories about people struggling to find work so I thought I’d see if anyone had any positive experiences lol