Thinking about 489

Been looking at 190 but now thinking maybe 489 would also be worth looking at.

Question I have though is there are 3 of us 2 adults and a old-teen. 

How does the qualification to PR application work do all three have to live in region for 2 years and work in region for 1 year or is it just the main applicant?

Reason for asking,

1 - partner may not work (one income family as in UK)

2 - child may get a place in good UK uni and so commute between UK and Oz for term times (so would be in country much less than us) and not working much (if at all)

I will ask my agent but it just came to me now and thought some of you might know the answer anyway

3 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Been looking at 190 but now thinking maybe 489 would also be worth looking at.

Question I have though is there are 3 of us 2 adults and a old-teen. 

How does the qualification to PR application work do all three have to live in region for 2 years and work in region for 1 year or is it just the main applicant?

Reason for asking,

1 - partner may not work (one income family as in UK)

2 - child may get a place in good UK uni and so commute between UK and Oz for term times (so would be in country much less than us) and not working much (if at all)

I will ask my agent but it just came to me now and thought some of you might know the answer anyway

If you are eligible for the 190 and the sponsoring state is offering you a 190, I would take the PR as soon as possible. Which state are you applying to?

I'm on a 489 which has worked well for me, but I'm single, applied at the end of a working holiday visa with noting much to lose, it's tough not having PR. I can't undertake certain study that work want to put me forward for as the costs are too high, I can't buy a house without all sorts of astronomical fees and the wait for PR is a decent one, even once you meet the 2 year obligation.

I'm still in my 20s (just) and am single and having the craic, so it works for me, but I don't think I would want to bring a family out here on anything less than PR. (Although people do it with great success.)

• Like 1

In your circumstances, only the main applicant would need to meet the work criteria.  You would need to research the availability of jobs in the regional area compared to having the availability of the entire state. 

To be careful with the plans for your child as it is possible in this situation they are deemed an international student which would mean they would not qualify for financial awards to study.