Moving to Sydney with 2 Young children

Chrisgm1981

Good even8ng, a newbie here as we start our journey to Australia coming up.

ive previously lived in Sydney 09-11 but my wife has never and we are now moving there from the UK with our 2 boys (1yo & 4yo) in July/August time.

we are wondering where we should start looking to live. I previously lived in bondi for my 3 years in Sydney and I don’t think that’s where I want to be with the fam. A few people have recommend north shore, but I wondered if people could give me some more specifics?

Our plan is that my wife  won’t work for the first year and will look after our boys, so she will want to make friends quickly and we  want to be able to enjoy the beaches close proximity on the weekends.

Hi, I know and remember the expense that beach side comes with a hefty premium from when I was there first time round.

a few friends have recommended north Sydney side with family. Ie crows nest

ill be working in the CBD. Our budget is 750-1300 pw for the first year as my wife won’t be working at first and we want to spend a year finding everything we need to out and where we want to be l9ng term etc as my eldest boy is 4so would be heading into school soon.

1 hour ago, Chrisgm1981 said:

Hi, I know and remember the expense that beach side comes with a hefty premium from when I was there first time round.

ill be working in the CBD. Our budget is 750-1300 pw for the first year as my wife won’t be working at first and we want to spend a year finding everything we need to out and where we want to be l9ng term etc as my eldest boy is 4so would be heading into school soon.

The North shore is a good area to live. How many bedrooms are you looking at and would it be a house or a unit etc. would determine the options (as they typically do). 

With that budget (750 - 1300) I think you would get good accommodation in the lower North Shore area (suburbs from Waverton to Chatswood on the train line would be good for commute and quality). The bigger the house the farther you would go - but the good thing is that you have a single train line (without having to change trains) that would get you from Northern suburbs to both the North and South shore Business districts (as long as you choose a suburb with a station). You can check the T1 line for these suburbs. They are also adding a new train line (Metro) so there could be additional suburbs in this area that would get a train station.

Lower North shore also has from what I have heard some of the best public schools.

Edited by Sigemup
edited for clarity and additional information

Check domain.com.au and realestate.com.au.  Don't just check rentals, take a look at house prices as well.  

I say that because although rents seem high, house prices are even higher.  For instance, I could afford to rent a unit in Mosman but I couldn't afford the mortgage to buy it.  That's important, because when you are finally ready to buy, you'll already be settled in the neighbourhood and it would be a shame to have to start all over again and move your child to a new school.

It's a longish commute but I would suggest looking at the Northern Beaches, rather than the Lower North Shore.

If that's out of your price range, consider the Sutherland shire (anywhere along the Illawarra train line).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sigemup said:

The North shore is a good area to live. How many bedrooms are you looking at and would it be a house or a unit etc. would determine the options (as they typically do). 

With that budget (750 - 1300) I think you would get good accommodation in the lower North Shore area (suburbs from Waverton to Chatswood on the train line would be good for commute and quality). The bigger the house the farther you would go - but the good thing is that you have a single train line (without having to change trains) that would get you from Northern suburbs to both the North and South shore Business districts (as long as you choose a suburb with a station). You can check the T1 line for these suburbs. They are also adding a new train line (Metro) so there could be additional suburbs in this area that would get a train station.

Lower North shore also has from what I have heard some of the best public schools.

Ideally 3 would be perfect but we do realise and have friends who have 2 bedrooms with 2 young children thanks for the insight commuting will be important for me as I want a short commute ideally.

54 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Check domain.com.au and realestate.com.au.  Don't just check rentals, take a look at house prices as well.  

I say that because although rents seem high, house prices are even higher.  For instance, I could afford to rent a unit in Mosman but I couldn't afford the mortgage to buy it.  That's important, because when you are finally ready to buy, you'll already be settled in the neighbourhood and it would be a shame to have to start all over again and move your child to a new school.

It's a longish commute but I would suggest looking at the Northern Beaches, rather than the Lower North Shore.

If that's out of your price range, consider the Sutherland shire (anywhere along the Illawarra train line).  

Yeah definitely will check that out, we wouldn’t want to move far away from friends we made either. So will definitely look at that! Will look at the northern beaches but I don’t think I want the long commute to the cbd

9 hours ago, Chrisgm1981 said:

Tons of properties beachside for that budget!