Which visa is the best to apply for given we currently have 70 points??

Hazey3874

Hi everyone,

We have recently began the visa application process, and understood 70 points was likely to get you an invite for a 189 or we could gain additional points for 190 Visa. Having seen the latest round where no invites were given for anyone under 75, we are worried that application for either visa would be pointless. We have 3 children, my wife is a secondary school teacher and I am an experienced social worker. I am 45 in August, therefore my wife would be the main a applicant, she is 39 in September. 

We are aware of other options but obviously prefer permenant residency, status to provide stability for our children, though not sure what the likelyhood of this will be given the current climate and our circumstances.

Any words of advice would be appreciated, as currently feeling a bit crushed.

Thanks in advance 

Jack

Hi Jack

I started the process for a 190visa last September so can help a little.

I don't think that you would be able to get a visa in time for you as the main applicant as you turn 45 soon.

I am 36 so your wife would fall into the same age category which is 33 - 39, after that you fall into the next bracket and lose 10points I think.

I was trying for a 189visa but just missed out on the top points for the English test twice, so I decided to go down the 190 route with 60points then the 5 points from state nomination.

If you have a state in mind and they are sponsoring secondary school teachers then the 190visa may be the best route for you.

There is a fair bit that you have to do to so would need to get cracking with things.

There are migration agents on this forum who can help you, I used one to get an assessment done just to make sure that I could apply for a visa and what I thought was correct.

Since that I have done things on my own.

Mark

Thanks for your reply..just out of interest where abouts in the process are you now? Have you had an invite? That’s the bit that daunts is the most..the sitting waiting with the clock ticking in my wife’s age bracket!

We are ready to submit our EOI in the next month or so when my wife’s skills assessment comes back. We hope to apply for 189 (though unlikely we know) and 190 for NSW (though they haven’t invited any/many teachers for a while)...so it’s not looking particularly promising. 

Any insight appreciated! 

I'm just filling in my forms for the Visa after receiving my invitation last Wednesday.

I'm not looking at moving until next summer so not really in a rush.

If your wife is 39 in September you would have until before she is 40. My EOI took 4weeks to be approved but you would need to check on the NSW website to see what there waiting times are.

It's coming towards the end of australias financial year so immigration tends too slow down at this time, then start of July it all starts again.

Each occupation has a ceiling so it could be that teachers are at the limit or very close. I'm a metal fabricator so luckily there aren't many people going under that trade.

From November 2019, the Skilled Migration Points Test will be adjusted to award additional points to primary applicants when their partner has competent English but does not meet the existing requirements for skilled partner points. Single applicants will also be awarded additional points to ensure they are not disadvantaged. This measure is estimated to result in an unquantifiable increase in revenue over the forward estimates period. The Department of Home Affairs will be provided with $0.3 million in 2019-20 to implement this measure.

The Skilled Migration Points Test currently awards additional points to primary applicants where their partner is under 45 years old, has competent English, and has a skilled occupation applicable for the visa subclass and stream they have been invited to apply for.

These changes will prioritise applicants who are single or whose partner can demonstrate competent English and therefore have the best potential to participate in the Australian labour market.

Thank you for your reply....complex but very helpful ..... ok the way I understand it is that this would mean in our situation we should gain additional points in November even though I will be 45 if my english has been assessed as competent.

I think we have decided to apply for a 189 and 190 visa, however In the case of the 190, and my wife being the main applicant it will be dependant upon NSW and the current need for secondary school teachers. At this point in time we have 70 points for a 189 and 75 for 190 and I guess the best course of action would be to apply for an EOI when my partners skills assessment has returned and for myself to undertake a competent english test, which my wife has already completed.

please can you clarify if I’ve understood this correctly.

thanks in advance 

Jack

21 hours ago, Lavers said:

I'm just filling in my forms for the Visa after receiving my invitation last Wednesday.

I'm not looking at moving until next summer so not really in a rush.

If your wife is 39 in September you would have until before she is 40. My EOI took 4weeks to be approved but you would need to check on the NSW website to see what there waiting times are.

It's coming towards the end of australias financial year so immigration tends too slow down at this time, then start of July it all starts again.

Each occupation has a ceiling so it could be that teachers are at the limit or very close. I'm a metal fabricator so luckily there aren't many people going under that trade.

Thank you for your reply, 

Congratulations I’m receiving your invite and hope all goes well. Exactly I think we are going to be dependent on if NSW have any current positions for secondary school teachers for the 190 but fingers crossed they do. 

Complicated but we aren’t giving up 🙂

Hi Hazey,

I’m in a similar position. I have 65 points as a secondary teacher and have applied for 190 to get the extra 5 points. On Sunday my migration agent emailed saying it is extremely unlikely I will ever receive an invite as even teachers with 70 points are not getting invites. I submitted EOI in October. I am now going to go down the 489 route. My last resort really. 

Have you you done an English test to boost your points?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I submitted my EOI in July 2018 for 190 NSW and 189. I'm a secondary school teacher and have 65 points at the moment, plus the 5 for state nomination. Haven't had an invite for either and not expecting one this financial year. My points increase by 5 in July to 70 because I'll have more experience, but even on 70 I'm not too hopeful at the moment. There's just so much uncertainty and change.

Regardless, I'm heading out to WA in August on a tourist visa to check out areas, but might go and look at Adelaide as SA is inviting teachers on a 489 (with 80 points). I'd recommend looking at 489 options.

Best of luck.