Here we go again- and a warning to new people

starlight7

Bushfires in Victoria. It brought it all back from 10 years ago when one of my daughters and her family lost absolutely everything in a bushfire down in Boolarra. Felt quite teary watching the same scenario.  My warning to newcomers would be to be very, very careful about buying property in those stunningly beautiful bush areas down in Gippsland or anywhere else where you are surrounded by trees.

• Like 7

Bushfires in Victoria. It brought it all back from 10 years ago when one of my daughters and her family lost absolutely everything in a bushfire down in Boolarra. Felt quite teary watching the same scenario.  My warning to newcomers would be to be very, very careful about buying property in those stunningly beautiful bush areas down in Gippsland or anywhere else where you are surrounded by trees.

Impacted me too even though I’m on the other side of the world at the mo. I worked on the Gippsland recovery much overshadowed by Marysville at the time and almost forgotten now. The stories from some of the survivors were harrowing. Then my son got burned out about 5 years ago in Gippy too. That followed Canberra’s experience years before.

Hope you and yours are ok with the trauma revisited. Fires scare the pants off me now!
  • Like 1

I guess it's important to respect that bush fires are a part of the natural cycle here, they are inevitable and when we used to live in a bush fire prone area/house we got the regular notices and have had large fires pretty close to the house at times whilst watching the water bombers coming overhead. Ultimately it's about being prepared and accepting that if it does happen you're life will be turned upside down for a while. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2019 at 19:44, CaptainR said:

I guess it's important to respect that bush fires are a part of the natural cycle here, they are inevitable and when we used to live in a bush fire prone area/house we got the regular notices and have had large fires pretty close to the house at times whilst watching the water bombers coming overhead. Ultimately it's about being prepared and accepting that if it does happen you're life will be turned upside down for a while. 

quite true.