Keeping bank account

paulswin

Can anyone shed some light.  We moved back to Uk but have left our money in our bank account in Oz. We’re not making any interest on it. We are now classed as au residents  overseas   If we were to move it to another account would we have to file tax returns because of the interest.  Such a pain as rate is terrible at the moment hoping it might get better later this ear!!

9 minutes ago, paulswin said:

Yeah have let bank know!  Can we still earn interest though?  The rate needs to drop to under 1.60 that would be fab!!

I let the bank know where my AOS bond is sitting that I was overseas and they take witholding tax at source if applicable. No tax return needed unless you have income above the tax free threshold. At least that is how I understood it! I’ll let you know if they issue a warrant for my arrest!

Yes you can earn interest a withholding tax of 10% will be taken by the bank on behalf of the ATO and you can use this to offset any UK tax.  If interest is your only OZ income you do not need to do an ATO return. I do not know however if you can open a savings account in Australia as a non resident.