457 Visa and medical entitlements

Hi all I am really confused! :wacko:

Can anyone advise me please with regardto medicare and being on a 457 visa. To be specific I am an asthmatic and have monthly prescriptions. How do I access these whilst in Oz? I know the uk has a reciprocal agreement for emergency treatment but how does asthma fit into this? what sort of costs will I incur and could it be covered by insurance? What sort of insurance would people recommend? Do I need to get a letter from my GP with regard to my treatment or will it be enough to describe what I usually have giving the generic names? I have been on the medicare site and emailed them but not received a reply. Hope someone can advise thanks in anticipation :wubclub:

Guest sheena

hi ya, we are on a 457 as well, not had to go to doctors since being here, but have friends who have so will try and explain for you! we are in Queensland and don't if it is different for the rest of oz but here you don't need to register with a doctor, you can go to any one you like, but... some charge you to be seen (about $55) then on top of that any prescription charges! so can work out to be dear, you get some of it back by going to Medicare centre and queuing for a long time!, so find one that does bulk billing, that way you don't pay to see the doctor, only for drugs if you need them!

the reciprocal agreement your on about does not just cover emergency's, it covers seeing the doctors etc, you don't really need private health insurance, but they encourage you to get it.

hope this is of some help to you?

sheena :wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rocki

The reciprocal health care agreement between the UK and Oz covers all *necessary* medical treatment:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

This would include the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme for any drugs that you need:

pbs.gov.au - Consumer - Home

pbs.gov.au - Consumer - About the PBS

PBS Safety Net - Medicare Australia

It would also be worth contacting Asthma Australia and any State offshoots:

www.asthmaaustralia.org.au | Welcome to<BR>Asthma Foundations Australia

Please see also Page 8 of Booklet 11, which is here:

Sponsoring a Temporary Overseas Employee to Australia

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Rocki,

Yes as Sheena said you just go to the docs pay your $55 ish and then you can claim back about $30 or like me you go to a Bulk billing and dont pay. You pay for childrens presciptions my little one had swollen glands last week and it ost $45 for medication. Apart for that my hubby snapped his achillies in Dec we thought OMG he refused to go to hospital cos would cost fortunte. it was all covered on the reciprical healthcare, he had 4 casts put on, numourous hospital visits and ultrasound scans and we paid nothing.

Good Luck

Em x

Archived