Opening a UK Bank Account

PaulVazz

Hi there,

So I'm wondering if there's any bank in the UK who'll let you open a bank account without proof of residence? Ideally I'd like to open a UK account before moving there so I can move money across earlier, but it seems all banks require a UK address.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

Paul.. 

Barclays and Santander both told me that the new money laundering laws prohibit banks from opening accounts for non-residents - and that any bank which still does so, is breaking the law.

I was able to open an account the day I arrived by showing my passport, but all I could do was deposit money. They then told me to make an appointment with a "consultant" once I had proof of address to get the account fully set up.  After the appointment, it was another week or two before I got my ATM card.  So really, I might as well have waited until I had proof of residence anyway. 

If you use a money transfer service like Moneycorp, you can transfer your money to them (and convert it to GBP), then it can sit in your Moneycorp account until you've got the British account open.  

• Like 1

You can open a multi-currency account in Australia which is probably just as good if not a lot more flexible.

I have an HSBC Everyday Global account. This can have up to 10 different foreign currencies linked to it.

So you just have a GBP sub account and transfer money into that at the time of your choosing and get the exchange rate on that day.

I have USD, EUR, GBP and NZD set up.

They are great for travelling. When in an overseas country just use the card and it automatically takes the money out of the local account.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Parley said:

You can open a multi-currency account in Australia which is probably just as good if not a lot more flexible.

I have an HSBC Everyday Global account. This can have up to 10 different foreign currencies linked to it.

So you just have a GBP sub account and transfer money into that at the time of your choosing and get the exchange rate on that day.

They are great for travelling. When in an overseas country just use the card and it automatically takes the money out of the local account.

Yeah I’ve thought about this kind of account. Do you know if Is it easy to transfer cash from the HSBC account to a UK account once you’re living in the UK? And if the money is in GBP in the HSBC account would you get charged fees for transferring to the UK account?

23 minutes ago, PaulVazz said:

Yeah I’ve thought about this kind of account. Do you know if Is it easy to transfer cash from the HSBC account to a UK account once you’re living in the UK? And if the money is in GBP in the HSBC account would you get charged fees for transferring to the UK account?

I'm not 100% sure on that.

It is fine to use with a debit card and for normal purchases etc. But don't know if you have £500000 in it how that would work. You might have to ask HSBC.

• 1 month later...
On 12/02/2019 at 18:00, Parley said:

Don't suppose you know if you can receive payments from UK source into UK sterling component without paying currency transfer fees? If so, this account would be brilliant for me....