Where to look for sponsorship

Chrisa2083

I have looked into trying to apply for a visa but my skill is only on the short term list and not currently being state sponsored (health and safety advisor). I have a young family and can’t really go for a short term visa as uprooting and then having to do the same again within 2 years wouldn’t be ideal.

Any help in where is best to look and apply for sponsorship jobs would be a great help.

Any other info in regards to this would also be greatly appreciated.

You know, the halcyon days of 457 visas that lead to PR seem to be over.  I say this as someone who came over in that exact way, it was so so much easier then, we actually never tried to come to OZ, we just got an offer we wouldn’t refuse (in those oh so different days), we progressed to PR literally a few months later, we were PR within less than a year of arriving and citizens within weeks of applying. It’s not like that now, I wish is could encourage you with my rose tinted glasses but I have to be very honest and say sponsorship is very unlikely and if it does happen to you you have to be clear about how that might or might not progress to PR,  it does have a massive impact on families, we never even thought about school fees which now most stares impose. We came out with very little knowledge, much enthusiasm, never really thinking about emigrating, then falling in love and being privilidged enough to be allowed to stay, that dream doesn’t really happen anymore and I’ve seen so many people struggle and juggle visas, be aware and my best wishes xxxxx

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chrisa2083 said:

I have looked into trying to apply for a visa but my skill is only on the short term list and not currently being state sponsored (health and safety advisor). I have a young family and can’t really go for a short term visa as uprooting and then having to do the same again within 2 years wouldn’t be ideal.

If your skill is only on the short term list, then AFAIK, that means employers are only allowed to sponsor you for a short contract (2 to 4 years), then you are not allowed to stay and apply for a permanent visa.  You have to go home, no other option.

On the plus side, if you can get an employer to sponsor you for a TSS visa, you can reasonably expect them to pay your relocation costs to Australia and back, so it needn't be an expensive adventure.  You can let out your British home and rent while you're in Australia. 

• Like 1

If your skill is only on the short term list, then AFAIK, that means employers are only allowed to sponsor you for a short contract (2 to 4 years), then you are not allowed to stay and apply for a permanent visa.  You have to go home, no other option.
On the plus side, if you can get an employer to sponsor you for a TSS visa, you can reasonably expect them to pay your relocation costs to Australia and back, so it needn't be an expensive adventure.  You can let out your British home and rent while you're in Australia. 

I’m ideally looking to move permanently, which at them moment doesn’t seem to be an option. We have been over twice to visit friends in Perth and absolutely love it, the kids don’t want to leave. It’s just frustrating that I didn’t pursue this earlier I’m my life [emoji30][emoji30]

A couple of things to consider. 

First, living and working somewhere are VERY different to been on holiday. 

If you do decide to go down the TSS route, get a lot of understanding of the visa. It has a big bag load of issues associated. Everything from the state will charge you fees for children's education, to implications on your partner finding work to even your children's education when you return to the UK (for example, they must have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to u overwork entry to be classed as a resident student and not charged international fees). If they reach uni age while in Oz, they WILL  be regarded as international. Which means no government help, and international fees.

Do consider that HSE advisors in WA is very much linked to the mining community and how it is doing. It is a very boom and bust industry. To give an example, in 2014, I could advertise for a senior HSE manager on minimum wage and been inundated with applicants.