Paying previous years UK NI contributions, cost increases

BacktoDemocracy

Might be different rules now as I topped up my pension over 15 years ago. The reasoning at the time was, the balance between how much I paid in topping up against the increase in pension, then in my case as long as I lived for 2 years after starting my pension, I would be in credit. So 13 years later I am well in credit, it was the right thing to do then, but I am out of touch with all the new regulations.

6 minutes ago, ramot said:

Might be different rules now as I topped up my pension over 15 years ago. The reasoning at the time was, the balance between how much I paid in topping up against the increase in pension, then in my case as long as I lived for 2 years after starting my pension, I would be in credit. So 13 years later I am well in credit, it was the right thing to do then, but I am out of touch with all the new regulations.

Yes, it is a whole new pension now. There is a cap on the top payment they give you so extra years don’t help. I’m going to ring them in a minute. I’ll post what they tell me. 🙂

• Like 1

Ok. Got in early 8am, thanks @BacktoDemocracy! The nice man says I will have enough years with the amount of time I have left prior to official retirement age. Which is what I thought. He did tell me to have another look in 10 years time to make sure! We both agreed that I don’t want to pay the chancellor any more than I have to! 

I’m happy with this as it is what I thought. He said the qualifying years on the website are accurate, so I’ll go with it.

I’ll live with my decision. Thanks all! 👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Ok. Got in early 8am, thanks @BacktoDemocracy! The nice man says I will have enough years with the amount of time I have left prior to official retirement age. Which is what I thought. He did tell me to have another look in 10 years time to make sure! We both agreed that I don’t want to pay the chancellor any more than I have to! 

I’m happy with this as it is what I thought. He said the qualifying years on the website are accurate, so I’ll go with it.

I’ll live with my decision. Thanks all! 👏

Glad you got it sorted satisfactorily. 

• Like 1

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 00:09, BacktoDemocracy said:

It is important because if you end up going back to UK for whatever reason you have safeguarded your UK pension for the equivalent of peanuts, you just need to check that the payments get recorded properly.

After pension age any time spent in the UK will see you getting the properly uprated pension in the UK

But if you don't plan on going back to live it seems a complete waste of money.

I went online and got a pension forecast. I got one when I was still in Australia that showed a minimal amount for my 18 years paid.

Now I am back and paying NI again it has updated the forecast to the full amount as long as I pay another 18 years prior to my official pension age. Currently 67 but likely to increase to closer to 68 if the age increases are bought forward as per a government proposal.

The only way I can increase my pension amount paid is by delaying claiming it.